Contest Official Bam Bam Growout Contest Thread

Aquatic Nerd

(Formerly SeventyTimes7)
BRS Member
Nice to meet everyone yesterday and thank you to @Countryreefer for donating the growout frags.
Thank You to those who attended the meeting and entered into the contest .

As stated before, members who signed up for the contest, must have been present at the meeting to pick up your free contest frag.

Here are the rules, which are subject to change, based upon previous contests:
- All participants must be paid members before receiving your coral
- Growout coral must be picked up in person at the November 17th meeting
- Post your setup, your tank maintenance and treatment of incoming corals
- Take a photo of the frag within 2 weeks of acquiring it, regardless of treatment administered and condition of the tank (No Photoshop)
- Make sure to measure your frag with the ruler provided.
- Continue to monitor you system with bi-weekly or at least monthly photos of the coral and status updates and changes made to your system.
- At the end of the allotted time frame, we will judge the best grow out and declare a winner. The time frame will be 3 months, which will be around the March 2019 meeting.
- Since the frags may vary in size, the winner will be chosen by the percentage new growth
- Prize is $50 GC to the sponsor of your choice.
- Lastly, Have Fun! :D

IT IS VERY IMPORTANT THAT YOU PARTICIPATE IN THE OFFICIAL GROWOUT THREAD. YOU CAN HAVE THE MOST GROWTH BUT WITHOUT MONTHLY POSTS, YOU WILL NOT WIN THE CONTEST.

Here's a list of members who picked up their corals:

1) @SeventyTimes7
2) @Duc Duc Guzzi
3) @LKarge
4) @mustangtjb
5) @mrjantzen
6) @Phinfan
7) @Bendint
8) @CAPSLOCK
9) @GobyWanKenobie
10) @Chris A.
11) @frank180reef
12) S. Ferreira
13) @JakeG
14) @shoo
15) @CrazyHorseLady
16) @Mortgage Man
17) CKarge
18) @aresangel
19) @a1enos

Please shoot me a PM if I missed your name. Good luck everyone!

Last edited:
Mine looks still upset from the day. When the polyps open I will take a count! Remember everyone it is the most percentage growth. So someone that goes from 1 polyp to 7 wins over someone starting with 6 and ending with 41 (7x vs 6.8x)

Although if that happens I don’t think the person with 41 will care as much that they lost [emoji23]. Good luck and get those photos posted. 2 weeks starts from today for initial post.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Same as @aresangel for me also. Dipped and acclimated properly and they still haven't opened. We'll see, anyways thanks for the opportunity.

I have 5 polyps. I floated them for about 15min, dipped rinsed and put in tank on the sand bed.

Edit: I have an 85 gallon tank with mars aqua led lights. I do a water change whenever I can remember.

Attachments

• 2C2F2982-2FFB-4CBE-AF64-B456F388EB12.jpeg
    2C2F2982-2FFB-4CBE-AF64-B456F388EB12.jpeg
    153.5 KB · Views: 345
Last edited:
Mine are closed
Is the ruler the same as past contests?

No ruler needed for zoas or palys. Head count.

Adults and babies count as long as a skirt is present.

Mine are still closed as well. When I arrived home, they had separated from the frag plug. I glued them back and placed them on a rock about half way up from the button. It appears I have two heads, I will post pictures once they open up.

7g aio nano frag tank turned display for my baby clownfish. 50w heater and using the AI prime I won in the frag show raffle. Got a lot of corals in it. And a huge rainbow bta. 4 fish including my clown, a clown from rick, a small royal gramma and a neon goby.
It looks like I've got 3 polyps, 2 have been opening alright but the right one has stayed closed. I have it sitting in the frag dome I won at the meeting.
Keep my temp around 78 and salinity around 1.025.
I dont do many water changes and I attribute the excellent water quality of this tank to the abundance of small muscles that i got in on some wild zoa rocks

Attachments

• 20181119_174137.jpg
    20181119_174137.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 302
Looks like 6 polyps for me... but only 4 open. Two look like they are going to bail.

2197add3f9d0f624730eb3b74be3420e.jpg

Acclimation. I dropped them in the tank

72 now front. 2 black box led.
20l sump with refugium. Skimmer not operational at the time.

I feed fish goo so any coral food in there is all they get.

Bam bams are 8” deep on the back wall frag rack.

I dose but they don’t need that stuff so that’s a plus cause I am not good at it.

Still waiting on them to fully open. They’re starting to but I only see two out of possible 4

I have all 6 open now. I am trying to figure out if I have more or not. There are bumps on the side of a couple of them. If they open I will adjust my starting number.

I have all 6 open now. I am trying to figure out if I have more or not. There are bumps on the side of a couple of them. If they open I will adjust my starting number.

Noticed the same with mine, cant tell if its babies or glue

Mine never really opened at all, checked when I came home yesterday and they've releases from the plug. Not sure where they went in the
tank, but it would be really cool to see them growing somewhere in time. Good luck to all.

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back