Peninsula flow

Leadfootedracer

Non-member
Hey everyone. I sold my complete 90 gal setup this time last year and handled some of life's nonsense. Now I'm reefless and that's not acceptable.

Going to be coming back with a scratch built setup. A 40b peninsula tank with a 20l sump.

I haven't really put much thought into the livestock yet, outside of some mated clowns and some zoas.

My question is about flow. I will have roughly a 3' head height, and plan on using a mag3 pump. That should get me about 335gph turnover which is about 6x tank volume (based on 40 display and ~15 sump).

To get the 20-40x flow within the display, I'm looking for around 850-900gph plus the 335gph from the return pump. Because the tank is a peninsula and I plan to keep 3 very clean and viewable sides, what factors should I be looking at when trying to keep the powerheads and return on a short side?

I was thinking of putting a T in the return and keeping those in the top corners like a traditional tank layout would use, and then 2 nano koralia 500's in the lower corners, alternating cycles via a RKL.

I do plan for he back wall to have a custom fake rock layout, with LR coming out the center forming a shelf along the center of the tank. Hard to explain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe a gyre would work well, even two setup vertically instead of horizontally

You could use 2 Jebao RW-4's. They move ALOT of water and have a small footprint. Plus alot cheaper than vortech's.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

I was trying to stay with something that was switchable like the hydor units so I could use the RKL to control everything. I do plan on trying to mount the head unit in such a way that is exposed at all times and I would like to keep everything controlled with the one controller.

I was trying to stay with something that was switchable like the hydor units so I could use the RKL to control everything. I do plan on trying to mount the head unit in such a way that is exposed at all times and I would like to keep everything controlled with the one controller.

If your not using the net why do you want all in one controller?

I'm just asking because the jebao have their own controller and work just fine.

Your not going to control remotely correct? Does the RKL support it?

If your not using the net why do you want all in one controller?

I'm just asking because the jebao have their own controller and work just fine.

Your not going to control remotely correct? Does the RKL support it?

More than likely, no. I am not going to control remotely. I had an RKE on my 90 and because I didn't have all the fancy gizmos to go with all the modules, remote control wasn't necessary.

Digital Aquatics doesn't offer a way to control DC powerheads. Yet. They have a DC pump interface, but it doesn't work for powerheads.

My 90 had a RKE, a hydor Wavemaker, and a Jabeo controller for the small pump used to feed my uv sterilizer and other equipment. I didn't like having so many controllers. It was overwhelming. Yes, had a thrown a few more bucks at that setup I could have contained it all down to 1, but I opted to shut it down and sell it first.

I plan to custom mount the ReefKeeper head unit in the tank stand similar to the one seen here. It would be nice to not have to play with anything else when feeding or something.

I will probably end up with an elite, to allow for expansion. I plan on an AI hydra26 and will want to use the proper module for that as well.

IMG_7975.JPG
IMG_7981.JPG

Well a last minute decision to move, stopped the progress on this. We are waiting for some furniture to show up, but the 40b peninsula build is back in action. Here it is sitting on some end tables trying to make sure this is a good spot for it in the room. Petco was having their sale, so I got both the 40b and 20l for $70.

36c24af34fcde730d68c747ba3dceb62.jpg

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back