pH

Reef2Sanity

Formerly Known as Beauregm
BRS Member
Hi everyone, I'm new as in first reef tank though I've always wanted to go this route. I've read a lot about how you should never use any buffers to adjust pH, checked mine today and sits at 7.3. So my question is what next?, have not started fish or coral yet just live rock, sand, and stable salinity level. Trying to be patient and establish stable environment before adding fish or coral. Do I worry about the pH? Do I add buffers now before adding anything else? Any advice appreciated

How big is your tank? what kind of equipment do you have? where is it located?
The reason that I am asking this is that if your tank is in a basement or your house is airtight then PH might be a problem. Other than that, don't worry about it. After the tank is fully cycled, no ammonia, no nitrite, then it is good to add fishes and inverts. I don't think fishes and shrimps really care about PH that much unless something is really wrong with your tank that drives the PH to the extreme (+ or -). In normal situations, don't worry about it. Even when you start adding corals, it is the Alkalinity that you have to worry about, not PH.

I don't think fishes and shrimps really care about PH that much unless something is really wrong with your tank that drives the PH to the extreme (+ or -). In normal situations, don't worry about

I would suggest that 7.3 is pretty acidic and fish would begin to stress.

To the op, I would say that without much for photosynthesisizing organisms to utilize the available co2 it will be on the lower side especially now that our homes are more closed up with the cold weather. Consider doing an aeration test (more info below)and see if the ph comes up. That would suggest an abundance of co2 in the air.

Also consider the accuracy of the test. Do you possibly have a false reading? ect?...

To do aeration test.
Take a cup of tank water do ph test. Place outside for a time (15min to 1/2 hour should be ok) and put an airstone in cup. Check ph again if it came up than it's likely an excess of co2 in the room where the tank is.

+1 for the post above.
Also what kind of salt are you using?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Used instant ocean salt 2 weeks ago, will try the aeration test, also gonna add a second powerhead to agitate surface water more, already have a air stone in tank. Still planning on introducing snails, hermit crabs, then coral prior to introducing fish so a good 2 months or so to get things settled

Adding more aeration and an airstone will NOT remedy the situation if the air in the room has a high co2 content (which it likely does in the winter in new england) the only to fix that would be to run outside air in via an air pump that is out side the home or have the skimner pull out side air in from a lager diameter tube that goes out a window or a hole in a wall.

Another alternitave would be a co2 scrubber but before we get into that find out via the test if it's really a CO2 problem

Working all day today, I'll try test tomorrow. Your right about new England winter also have pellet stove in next room so def could be air issue

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back