Please critique my plans for Red Sea Peninsula 650 build

It has been 14 years since I kept a reef tank. I previously had a 15G nano and a 75G mixed reef. I am planning for my dream tank and I have three criteria/design philosophies for it: (1) keep DIY to a minimum since work keeps me very busy, (2) automate as much as possible since work keeps me very, very busy and (3) money is not an issue since work keeps me very, very, very busy but it also pays me well, lolz. This will be a mixed reef, but dominated by SPS and clams.

I have been out of the hobby for a while, so I have been researching furiously over the past weeks to get up-to-speed on the latest developments. Below is my equipment list. Please let me know your thoughts.
Eye candy - what I hope my tank will look like, lol:
650-in-room-2.jpg

Inspiration: Broadfield's Red Sea 750 XXL Build (OMG ... drooling)

Fire away and don't hold back. I want to do it right the first time. Is there anything you would change?

Thanks
Quy (aka Jim)

Quy, where are you relocating to?

Quy, where are you relocating to?

From Singapore back to Boston. I left Boston in 2004 to work in Japan. I spent 12 years in Japan before moving to Singapore for the past 2 years. All good things must come to an end. I am looking forward to being back in the USA.

The other area that I am re-thinking is the Apex controller. I am seriously considering to use the GHL Profilux 4 including their well-reviewed 2.1 dosing system combined with the KH Director alkalinity monitor and controller. The GHL seems bullet proof from what I have read, while the Apex seems to have better software/interface. Decisions, decisions...

Good choice! Profilux 3ex for over 10 years now. Still has all the features I need and more. Cost more but very very reliable.

So, like all good reefers, I changed my plans a dozen times and I took an extra year thinking and re-thinking every detail. I finally started my build and you can follow along over at R2R here. Thanks

Just subscribed to your R2R build thread. I love well written build threads and yours is top notch. I especially appreciate how you list your top three equip choices and explain reasoning for your decision. I can't wait to read about your livestock decision! Well thought out build and I wish you the best success!

And just to add as a current Elos owner, I would not regret your decision on the WB. No denying Elos are top of line, but not enough to justify spending 2X as much. (I got mine second hand at a big discount off new pricing).

Welcome back Jim. Getting back into the swing of things myself.

Joe

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back