Power outage

How long can a reef tank last with no water movement as my power is out, and I don’t have a generator

I’ve had one for 4 straight days in the winter on a 30 gallon system. Temps were down to the 40s and by the time it was over I had only softies and a few fish left.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It depends on what you have for fish. You want to get oxygen into the water so for the meantime get a pitcher or something and scoop water out and pour it back in every so often.

Last year my tank was off for 8 hours and lost 5 fish and a few acros. My power was out at home for almost 4 hours today. Can’t wait for the surprise when I get home :(

How long can a reef tank last with no water movement as my power is out, and I don’t have a generator

How large is your tank?
I have battery powered air pump you can borrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I used to use hot water bags floated into the tank in double bagged ziplocks and a battery airstone. Never lost anything. That was before I got a genset for aeration and heaters. I just used a teapot and coleman stovetop with propane bottles.

Lost power for about 4-5 hrs overnight. Battery pump activated while I was asleep. Great invention / great investment.

^ that one. Plug it in, and it'll turn on automatically if it loses power.

Went without power for 27 hours. Got up this morning when the power came on and found my sea cucumber out doing her usually morning sand poop! Whew.

I only used a battery powered airstone in my RSR250 (50 some odd gallons in the display). The temperature got down to 68 and the pH was in the low 7s. I'll see how the corals behave over the next few days but no obvious losses. Fingers crossed.

How'd everyone else fare?

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/resc...-7NruaqRIXBOfjLd6raDzJ7eN4Qj5ufhoCkV0QAvD_BwE

This air pump is awesome and can go for 24 hours, plus an an additional 48 hours on the power bank, and no batteries required since it holds the charge internally. Turns on automatically when power goes out. I keep one in my display at all times, i use black tubing to hide it. I also have 3 of the cheaper ones shown above that I throw in if im leaving for a while or am suspecting a storm

Back