Radions or hydras??

wdebenedettojr

BRS Member
So I’m going to have to change leds coming up soon so I have some time. I have a standard 90 gallon 48”x18”x24” tank. I have a retrofit t5 kit already mounted in my canopy which will be staying. Leds are the primary and t5’s supplement in the middle of the day. My tank is primarily sps but I do have lps as well. I’m torn between hydra 52’s hd or radions xr 30 g4’s. Note I will do two of each. Looking for some thoughts from people that have/use both/one or the other on there systems. Again, my tank is primarily sps with some lps. I appreciate all the suggestions!!

definitely ati 6x54w is a better choice in my opinion

Appreciate the opinion but I’m set on the leds.

I don’t want this to turn into t5’s/metal halides/leds are better discussion. Just kinda looks for pros or cons for either the radions or hydras. I know there a bunch of people on this board using either of the two so looking for their thoughts.

Radions for sure. The new optics on the gen 4s blend a lot better and the color from the radions is a lot better. Also, radions you can set your spectrum and simply adjust intensity as you see fit. Hydras you can not adjust intensity of your perfected spectrum. Every set point you have to adjust the intensity of each color every time which is annoying.

If your choice is between Hydra and Radion, my choice will be Hydra.
1. They both use Cree, SemiLed and Osram chips, Hydra is less expansive. Since you are not going to run them at 100%, the extra power from Radion may not apply.

2. The new lens of G4 will not solve shadowing issue for sps colonies. Because the lens do not change the clustering format of the led pucks, so no matter how much marketing they do, it does not change the law of physics.

3. The fan on the G4 is on 24/7, even the light is off. This is due to the design of the fan. If the fan stops, water can condense inside the fixture.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like the hydras as well . had mine for almost a year over my 75 and I ran 3 over a 220 . Pro ..... No additional parts needed . wifi built in . I'd be lying if I said I didn't want to try the Radions but at almost 900 a whack no thanks

Radion g4 pro is $800 each

One v4 is as powerful as two radion g4 as well, it has much better spectrum and truly solve the shadowing issue. By the way, even at $800 a pop, you need to spend an additional $100 to get the reeflink to program and control the radion.

One v4 is as powerful as two radion g4 as well, it has much better spectrum and truly solve the shadowing issue. By the way, even at $800 a pop, you need to spend an additional $100 to get the reeflink to program and control the radion.

I have an apex and wxm module already so I don’t think I would need the reeflink.

I’m torn because the hydras are much cheaper and the built in WiFi is nice. Plus I do know people have kept successful tanks with them

I do know the radions are amazing but like you said, the price is super expensive. I don’t think I would get the pro’s because I don’t think the extra power would be necessary considering I have t5’s as well. Plus no one really runs their leds at 100%, I know I don’t.

I’m just wondering if the extra $100 for g4’s is really worth it compared to the hydras

Dong I know you have tons of sps, do you have any coloration or growth issues with the hydras?

I’m not really familiar with the v4’s

I used to have many hydra, but I replaced them with Reefbreeders photon v2, which gives better color and growth.
I used to have Radion as well, They were similar as Hydra, actually they are using the same LED chips.

I think if you are supplementing with t5 then the extra cost of radion isn’t worth it. Hydras should be perfect with t5.

As for growth issue, since you have t5 suppliment, I dont think you will have an issue of shadowing. So I will still go with Hydra vs Radion

I used to have many hydra, but I replaced them with Reefbreeders photon v2, which gives better color and growth.
I used to have Radion as well, They were similar as Hydra, actually they are using the same LED chips.

So reefbreeders over hydras or radions? I thought they were of black box quality. This interests me.

Last edited:
I am on my way home from Dong's and if I didn' see it I wouldn' believe it. I have radions and love them, but with the quality of coral Dong has I know he wouldn't risk using an inferior light.

The photon v2 is not a blackbox.
It has the same Cree LED chips as in Radion and Hydra. It is programable, and it has larger solid aluminum heat sink. Plus it has two years warranty.
In terms of light quality, the type of LED chips used in the fixture dictates it.

So basically, with the same led chips, Radion and Hydra do not out perform Reefbreeders v2.

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back