Red Sea skimmer only making foam

jasonrusso

Non-member
A few days ago the skimmer on my Red Sea C-130 started foaming and overflowing. It has been working great since November (occasional overflow, but that's all skimmers). The weird thing about this is that it is all foam, not larger bubbles like usual. I took the cup off because it was filling up with water in about 5 minutes.

Does this indicate something in the water or a mechanical issue? I haven't had the time to pull it out and check the pump, but the airline is clear. It seems like it's getting plenty of air and flow.

Attachments

• 20180808_063458.jpg
    20180808_063458.jpg
    112 KB · Views: 226
i say i have the same problem like you but it happen this morning. And my main tank not clear. Like muddy water.
bubble of my skimmer keep overflow.

Have you added anything? Certain meds (Prazipro), dechlorinators, etc. will cause a skimmer to overfoam. You could try running poly filter or similar to remove possible contaminants.

Or just run the skimmer as low as it goes and keep dumping out the excess skimmate (making sure it can't overflow onto your floor, of course). Keep an eye on your salinity if you go this route.

I do
Have you added anything? Certain meds (Prazipro), dechlorinators, etc. will cause a skimmer to overfoam. You could try running poly filter or similar to remove possible contaminants.

Or just run the skimmer as low as it goes and keep dumping out the excess skimmate (making sure it can't overflow onto your floor, of course). Keep an eye on your salinity if you go this route.
I didn't add anything I haven't been adding for months. I put in a bag of purigen yesterday, I'll see how that goes. It's been 5 days now, I changed 5 gallons (32 gallon tank) with no change.

It's getting frustrating. .

Have you tried to recalibrate the skimmer ?

My Red Sea 250 skimmer every once in a while I need to adjust the air intake to calibrate the amount of foaming and avoid overflow.

Check that.

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back