Ro trouble

I had a problem during the previous cold spell. I use the water line to my washing machine which also wasn't working. That reminds me to T off a slow drip to hopefully prevent freezing again.

I am having trouble keeping up with the evaporation and water changes. I just can't make enough water. I also noticed that the water pressure in my house is lower than usual so I think my problem is with the town. You can try coiling extra tubing in a bucket of warm water so it warms up before entering your unit. I think the optimal temperature is 60 degrees. If you make it too warm, you can damage your filters.

I have a booster pump. The water is absolutely freezing going in to the pump. I just went through an ro membrane in 60 gallons. This sucks. Any ideas?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

I have mine hooked up into an old laundry hookup in the basement so I have a Y split with one going to the hot and the other to the cold line. In the winter time I have to open up the hot water valve a little more to compensate so I don't loose any production...

I have mine hooked up into an old laundry hookup in the basement so I have a Y split with one going to the hot and the other to the cold line. In the winter time I have to open up the hot water valve a little more to compensate so I don't loose any production...
I may have to do just that! My water comes from the Charles river and the plant is less than a mile as the crow flies. That's some damn cold water

I use my faucet and have to add some hot water to get production up. Don’t add to much or you can destroy your membrane as well. I start off cold and keep adding hot until i don’t feel the chill anymore

I use my faucet and have to add some hot water to get production up. Don’t add to much or you can destroy your membrane as well. I start off cold and keep adding hot until i don’t feel the chill anymore
Mine is plumbed in. I let it run at night while I sleep so if something explodes I'll hear the copper pipes calling out to me like Lassie;) I can splice into my utility sink with a gate valve. Let a little hot water into the mix.

I build and install RO's/RODI's, if you ever need help its 110$ for a service call! Haha seriously though I'm starting a site and might become a sponsor if I think it would pay for itself. 60 g for a membrane life is way to little sounds like something else is wrong. My RODI is in a 40-50 degree closet and has been running great all winter 80-100g per 2x10 DI canister same membranes since june(double membrane unit custom made). I get 0 TDS all day! If you guys ever need filters or DI resin let me know I have them in bulk. Don't want to post my website name so as not to upset the mods as I'm not a sponsor, plus it's not 100% up yet but I have the name purchased and own all the parts as I bought my dads established water filtration company and am trying to diversify by breaking into the reef water industry. What brand membrane are you running? Prefiltration? Water source? Sounds like chlorine/chloramines might be spoiling your membrane if it's city water. IMO cold water shouldn't matter and the temperatures should be relatively stable as it's coming from underground. If it's not frozen we can filter it, it will be slower production but the quality will still be there and the membrane won't foul. Here's some good reading on the subject
https://www.wqpmag.com/combating-effects-cold-water-ro-system-performance

Last edited:
Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back