Skimmer for 200 gallon system recommendations please

banshee1

Non-member
Looking for some real world experience with different skimmers for a 300 gallon max system. Total isnt decided yet because I'm doing a basement sump but wont be over 200 gallons

I agree with the Life Reef recommendation. I run a VS3-24 on my 150. I'm about to add in a basement sump (150 gallons). I'll be reaching out to him for a 12" extension to make it a VS3-32 for the added water volume

I have an older Reef Octopus Diablo XS 200. Works great. The air noise was a bit loud but I modified the silencer a bit to quiet it down.

For a 200+ Gallon system your gonna be at least $450+ for a good name brand skimmer that can handle a decent bioload unless you buy used.

I have a Skimz monzster and I like it.

Which Reef Octopus are you looking at?

It will be a 200 max system. I think I said 300 that was a typo. It's a 75 gallon display will have a 30 gallon fuge, a 30 gallon clean tank that I will use for water changes , a 55 gallon sump that will probly only have 20-30 gallons in it and possibly a frag tank

Not really looking at any in particular. Just listening to opinions. I'm a few month out from having this system even seeing any water

There is someone on here selling an entire lifereef system for $300.
That's sump, fuge, skimmer and reactors. An amazing deal if it's still available

1299ABED-5A3A-4401-B05C-1744EB58DDEC.jpeg

How noisy are the LifeReef skimmers compared to something like a Nyos ?
My Lifereef is silent. The air intake goes into the skimmer cup and as long as the lid is on I can't hear it. My tank is in my living room so it being noisy would not work for me. I have not used a Nyos so I can't compare to that. I have used a Alpha 170, RO Recirculated and a BM before and the Life Reef is the quietest out of those that I have had.

Very welcome. He does offer a few options for the pump, some can have an effect on the noise level. Currently mine is running a Mag9 I believe. When I finish my basement sump the Water Blaster I use for my current return will be re-purposed as the skimmer pump.

I had the same concern before I ordered mine, I run it with a jebao dcp 8000 and it's silent.

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back