Skunk Cleaner or Neon Goby with CBS?

stingythingy45

BRS Member
I really want to add a cleaner fish or shrimp to my tank.
Right now I have a rather large Coral Banded Shrimp that prowls the tank during the night.I add two small peppermint shrimp last week and they are MIA,even with a red flashlight at night.I looked at cleaner wrasse but heard they need a lot of turnover of fish to be happy.
Any suggestion would be great.

There's a pretty good chance that your CBS will snip at cleaner or fire shrimp especially where he has his territory already established. If your tank is big enough maybe they can co exist peacefully. YMMV

Cleaner Wrasses don't live long in captivity.

I have a large CBS myself, in a 75 gallon. I currently have a med sized blood/fire shrimp and they get a long fine. I've had the CBS about 1.5 years and the blood shrimp for 8 months.

I also had a neon goby with the CBS, unfortunately my green serpent star ate him, but I never saw any issues with the CBS.

Bonnie

Neon gobies are great, but they have a very short lifespan. They also can get into the overflow very easily since they are so small. Great little personalities though.

Not to highjack the thread - but how short of a lifespan are you talking about? :)

Neon gobies are great, but they have a very short lifespan. They also can get into the overflow very easily since they are so small. Great little personalities though.

The full lifespan is 12-18 months. Because of that, wild collected ones are likely to die not long after collection. They are readily tank raised though, so you can get young ones.

ok i would like to just let you know i have a pair of cleaner shrimp and a coral banded, they live in harmony. The coral banded also hides during the day and if u keep him well feed he well stay tamed and u should be fine.

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back