Sps trouble

Sdeluca10

BRS Member
So I never really had sps corals before. Mostly LPS, softies, anenomies, and zoas. I’ve recentry added a dozer to my system and been paying very close attention to my water quality. Currently it is as follows. 0 nitrites/nitrates. PH steady at 8.4, ALK 9.5, MAG 1240, CAL 440, Salinity steady at 1.025. I have recently added a handful of sps. Not entirely sure of the names but they are only frags. They all have been starting to die within the past week. The only thing that has changed is my temp went from 78/79-82/83. I do not have a chiller, the tank is in my basement. Is 82/83 high enough to kill all SPS. None of my other corals seem to be bothered.
My other theory is that I have too many anemones in the tank, about 8, BUT they are all confined to the right side of the tank.
Any ideas what could be happening with my SPS?

Attachments

• A6393E9D-B40E-44E8-A110-53BFC7F88108.jpeg
    A6393E9D-B40E-44E8-A110-53BFC7F88108.jpeg
    174.9 KB · Views: 242
those temps do seem high, I would get a fan blowing across the top of the tank for some cooling
What do you have for flow, I am no expert but do know that flow is more important to SPS than any other. I am struggling with creating enough flow for my SPS without blowing away my LPS and BTA's and it is quite the challenge.

The nems will only bother your sps if they are touching them. Soft corals typically don’t mix well with sps. Sps will sting what touches them to protect their area of the reef. Softies release a toxin into the water for protection. In the ocean it is swept away by the current and only effective very close to the coral. In our closed tanks it is just circulated throughout the tank.

It looks like you have some large leathers in there so that might be part of the problem.

Also lighting and flow. Sps need more intense light and flow than softies and Lps so if your tank is set up to make the lps and softies happy the sps would be lacking.

To back one eye, I lost a lot of my favorite sps to my massive toadstool i'm sure through chemical warfare (Theory) especially the ones that were down stream in the flow from the toadie. I had a hollywood stunner fall into it the other week, the toadstool just melted through it in no time like it was butter in under a hour. My 2 cents as above is your softies could be the issue.

That is why I got rid of my giant toadstool. After its removal, all other coral including many lps were much happier the following day. When I put the toad stool inside a 5 gallon bucket, the water in the bucket turned brown. Leather need their own system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back