Starting new tank.

Sdeluca10

BRS Member
So it’s been a little while since I started a new tank.
1st: how do we feel about that “quick start” solutions? (Add fish right away) Do they work, can you actually introduce fish right away??
2nd: how far into the start up do you actually start up your protein skimmer??
3rd: If you use the quick start solution is there benifit to using extra?
4th: is using that stuff a way of skipping over to ammonia and nitrite cycle???

I've done fishless cycles as well as the instant cycle and they both work fine. Unless you are patient, I would just throw is a bottle of Bio-Spira or like bacteria and add a couple of clowns. Keep an eye on ammonia, nitrites and nitrate but, you should be fine. Give it a month or so to make sure there is no ammonia popping up and then off to the races with coral.
As for skimmer, I would give it a couple months before turning it on. It's useless in the start and only adds to electricity costs.
Using extra bacteria won't hurt the tank by any means. There are people out there that dose bacteria on the regular.
Yes, adding the bottled bacteria basically eliminates the nitrogen cycle. The nitrogen cycle is there to build up the population of bacteria but, by adding it, it's cycled instantly. Again, you still need to keep an eye on parameters but, I haven't had a problem doing it this way in the last 3 tank I've set up.
Good luck!

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back