Steel Stand Surface Suggestions

gwdemos

BRS Member
I had a very unfortunate situation a few weeks back...my custom shelf for my QT system collapsed on me. 6 stitches in my knee and a long story short, I am rebuilding and going with a custom stainless steel stand.
Now considering a surface to lay on top of the steel stand and looking for suggestions. surface will be approx 44"L x 30"W.

Considerations:
-Lifetime build quality and aesthetics matter.
-Accommodate through holes for drain/return plumbing.
-Perfect Level
-Waterproof/resistant all around (Top, Bottom, Sides)

1. 3/4" Plywood painted with marine epoxy
2. 3/4" Plywood with ForMica laminate
3. Other hardwood options/thicknesses
4. Solid Surface options: Granite, Corian, Stainless Steel lab top (Drilling could be an issue)

Premise is that the steel stand takes on the weight, the surface is primarily for weight distribution and function.

Also for securing the surface to the stand, just rely on weight of tank or should i build the stand with Tabs to accommodate mounting options?

Thanks for suggestions.
-Greg

I have a new still in the wrapping 1 1/2 thick Formica top I had built and never used from my recent build, dark slate like color 25"x41".

Jim

I have a new still in the wrapping 1 1/2 thick Formica top I had built and never used from my recent build, dark slate like color 25"x41".

Jim
Almost the right size for me! Curious, what is the inset wood, pressboard composite or something more substantial? I assume it is a wood wrapped in formica and not a formica brand solid surface.

I had a very unfortunate situation a few weeks back...my custom shelf for my QT system collapsed on me. 6 stitches in my knee and a long story short, I am rebuilding and going with a custom stainless steel stand.
Now considering a surface to lay on top of the steel stand and looking for suggestions. surface will be approx 44"L x 30"W.

Considerations:
-Lifetime build quality and aesthetics matter.
-Accommodate through holes for drain/return plumbing.
-Perfect Level
-Waterproof/resistant all around (Top, Bottom, Sides)

1. 3/4" Plywood painted with marine epoxy
2. 3/4" Plywood with ForMica laminate
3. Other hardwood options/thicknesses
4. Solid Surface options: Granite, Corian, Stainless Steel lab top (Drilling could be an issue)

Premise is that the steel stand takes on the weight, the surface is primarily for weight distribution and function.

Also for securing the surface to the stand, just rely on weight of tank or should i build the stand with Tabs to accommodate mounting options?

Thanks for suggestions.
-Greg

Why not just make the stand out of SS angle iron & drop the tank in with no surface at all? I just built a custom SS stand for 3= 20L tanks & each tank fits snugly inside the angle iron. One less thing to worry about.

Why not just make the stand out of SS angle iron & drop the tank in with no surface at all? I just built a custom SS stand for 3= 20L tanks & each tank fits snugly inside the angle iron. One less thing to worry about.

i've thought of this, yet i really want the work surface for fragging and what not. the tank is a 24x24x10 acryllic (no plastic bracing etc) so i also want the bottom fully supported.

how about a piece of StarBoard?

yes! Starboard is a real good option. jamestown distributers & west marine carry it - very expensive. but found that ePlastics.com carries another brand, same stuff and a bit more reasonable price. I'll likely go with this in black. I'd prefer white but i imagine it will yellow over time under tank lighting.

Just curious, does the stand frame have cross supports or it just a perimeter frame at the top? Sounds like you're building a table that has a frag tank on it?
I'd be worried about the starboard sagging in the center if there wasn't a center cross support (that'd be around 16" on center).
The black would definitely be what I'd go with! I'd suspect the white would get grungy looking over time (like cutting board does).

But you're talking to someone who just built a stand is 2 layers of 3/4" ply thick all the way around and 3 on top....when I thought of tank supporting, I guess I thought abrams.

i sit my tanks on insulation foam board. It helps it stay level and insulates the bottom surface against heat loss, and potentially vibrations. Notwithstanding, such a product may not work well with your design. I had covered the foam board with pieces of trim.

Just curious, does the stand frame have cross supports or it just a perimeter frame at the top? Sounds like you're building a table that has a frag tank on it?
I'd be worried about the starboard sagging in the center if there wasn't a center cross support (that'd be around 16" on center).
The black would definitely be what I'd go with! I'd suspect the white would get grungy looking over time (like cutting board does).

But you're talking to someone who just built a stand is 2 layers of 3/4" ply thick all the way around and 3 on top....when I thought of tank supporting, I guess I thought abrams.

Absolutely, yes I'll have cross members supporting the solid surface. I've been in touch with a local welder and finalizing dimensions etc., just waiting on new tank to arrive so i can figure exactly where drain/return lines will be so i don't put steel anywhere that could complicate plumbing..

Nice! Sounds rugged as all get out, and should look great too.
I wish sometimes I'd gone with steel - I enjoy welding but I don't trust what I have for equipment or skills to build anything critical.

I'd love to build an industrial / rivet look steel stand w/rimless tank,equipment exposed, embedded LED lighting everywhere...

Back