Stored rock

banshee1

Non-member
I'm in process of setting up a new tank. I have old rock out of my tank from 5 years ago. When it was taken out it was boiled and sundried for a couple weeks or so and then put in a box. Now I'm assuming that this rock is 100 percent dead. Is there anything I should do to it before setting up a new tank with it?

Put it in a tub/trash can and try cycling it for a couple of weeks. Test for phosphates. If there’s any run some type of phosphate remover so you won’t have to deal with it in the tank

Or if it does end up leaching out a lot of phosphate you might also consider an acid bath to dissolve the outermost surface of the rock (and the phosphate bound to the rock)

I was thinking the acid bath. I also just purchased another tank along with some rock. That rock has been out of water for for 4 days now so I was thinking of acid bathing all of it and just start fresh

On my phone so no link, but at Home Depot they have mauric acid. It’s essentially 30% hydrochloric acid. I mix it 1/2 gallon to 5 gallon of water. Let the rocks fizz for as long as bubbles are being produced. The calcium chloride from the rock will produce co2 gas and water neutralizing it. Leave plenty of room for the bubbles to form! If you have a larger bin I suggest that! After that rinse with water let dry and should be good to cycle.

I am sure there are more accurate ways but I went with the higher concentration because all my dead rocks were covered in algae and dead sponges etc. a wire brush helps clear debris before the bath.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just in case, do it outside, wear a mask, gloves, and eye protection.
This!!!!!!
And plenty of Baking Soda to dissolve the solution when done.
Reef Central has a very informative and descriptive thread......with pics :)

I did this last year, worked great!
Pool stores also sell the Acid (HD maybe a little less potent).

Gloves absolutely! Eye protection preferred, it will smell like sulfur/rotten eggs. This is an exothermic reaction so expect heat as a byproduct with the solution.

Do you have to worry about what type of container you use with the acid?

Bleach bath and acid dip are done. Soaking in ro now

Attachments

• 20180324_105807.jpg
    20180324_105807.jpg
    213.6 KB · Views: 195
The acid will dissolve some of the rock as well, but that dark brown is most likely from organically or dirt on the putter layers

For old rock that had life on it I think the best is a dilute bleach bath (for a few days) changed maybe a couple of times then rinse well in tap water and let dry until the chlorine smell is gone (may take weeks). I re-use rock (coral bits) All the time this way. I don't see any point in acid after bleach. Yes if you are trying to clean a piece of equipment that has calcium deposits on it then acid works very well. For coral based rock I don't see the point in using acid after bleach.

Greg, are you saying that it is incorrect when people say that phosphate becomes bound to the rock surface, and can leech off into low nutrient water later?

I'm not sure I buy that any significant amount of phosphate would bind to the surface of a coral based rock. Now, all life has phosphate in it (as I mentioned in the presentation on Sunday), so if you have bits of dead life (sponges, soft corals, etc.) on your dried out rock, yes, you should get that off. I think the best way to get that off is with bleach and perhaps a bit of scrubbing with a brush. Now, even coralline algae is going to have phosphate imbedded in it. The natural reef is actually build by fast growing corals dying and becoming glued together by coralline algae. In some cases therefore the rock is going to be inches thick of coralline algae. Could you remove all of that with hydrochloric acid...sure, but the rock would also be gone!!

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back