Storing live sand

jdeb101

Non-member
I need to temporarily move my tank out of my living room to have hardwood floors redone. I plan to move livestock to a temp tank but keep the sandbed in place. It's pretty shallow, maybe 1", and I'm hoping that so long as I keep a little water so it stays wet it will be ok for the week or two?

TIA

Depends on how old is the sand. If it is over an year old, I will say toss it. If it is less than a year old, I would rinse it well and dry it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bacteria will colonize the sand bed quickly.

Depends on how old is the sand. If it is over an year old, I will say toss it. If it is less than a year old, I would rinse it well and dry it.

It is about 6 months old or so. I suppose after I move it I could add a little more water with a heater and flow and it should be ok?

That should be ok, i will rinse it very well first

When you remove the sand from the tank, the sand will be stirred and should be rinsed

When you remove the sand from the tank, the sand will be stirred and should be rinsed

I'm hoping to be able to move it with the sand. Tank is only 36g will I believe 10-15lbs sand. Only moving it one room over. If I have to remove then I will rinse. I assume I'll have to rinse with rodi or saltwater? Thank you Dong.

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back