Sump intake and output baffle dimensions

AC_Rhino

Non-member
Does it really matter how much space is in the input and output side of the sump? I want to maximize the size of the refugeium by having as small of an intake chamber and as small of an output chamber as I need to have. Normally I would test the sh** out of this but right now I don’t have that luxury.

As an FYI this is a 10 gallon fuge and there will be no skimmers or reactors in it … they live elsewhere. This is strictly a refugium with a chamber to hold some carbon and macro algae.

Do the input and output chamber sizes matter or is physics physics … water in water out?

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 407
The smaller the input the faster the water will rush out and maybe creating bubbles, but since it’ll be full of cheato I presume, you won’t have any problems with micro bubbles. Outlet side would only have to be big enough for the pump and enough water over it so it doesn’t suck in air. This is actually a good failsafe Incase the drain gets clogged then you don’t dump a ton of water into the display

If you are worried about bubbles you can always add extra baffles. An under over under will allow bubbles to rise out. I made mine to fit my skimmer so mine is 8” for the drain portion. I wish I had a higher refugium though. I made my return baffle only 8” high so I needed to put egg crate in there to catch the algae and any critters in time out to keep them away from my return.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back