Tank doesnt sit flat on stand

mrcote1

Non-member
So Ive built furniture before and decided to build a stand instead of buying one. The stand looks great and is level, and everything was good so I glued the top piece of plywood on. Then a couple hours later I put the aquarium on and one corner of the tank sits above the plywood by maybe 1/32". Just barely enough to make it rock if I push down on that corner. Is there anything I can do to fix this? Its only a 20 gallon long for my permanent quarantine tank.

Is the tank full?if not try adding water to it and see if it still rocks.
You can use some rubber self leveling mat.

I have not put water in it yet, but I certainly can tomorrow to see if it fixes it. However i doubt that it would since I glued the plywood to it and the stand is solid. I definitely should not have glued the plywood before I checked it. That Was not too smart of me

I do have a gallon of epoxy... after filling the tank with water if there is still a gap, should I just make a mould around the top and pour like a 1/16" layer of epoxy over the top?

Or would the rubber mat be far easier and safer? My biggest fear is the tank seams failing when Im not around. I plan on also making a stand for my 75 gallon and 40 gallon sump so im using the 20 gallon as my learning experience haha

not sure on thickness, might depend on the type of epoxy. Could also use that foam for houses( blue or pink sheets )

I run a tank mat under my frag tank but there no was a gap before I added water, frag is 60 Gallons. I did have a gap under my 120 stand and am running a mat under it with no problems............ YET.....has only been running 6 months.

Alright, it seems like the popular choice is the tank mat, ill order one today! Thanks everyone, maybe ill pick up a bench plane too in the meantime to see if I can fix it with that. The tank mats claim to be self leveling too which sounds convenient

Foam project board works very well. You can pick it up at Staples for about $5.

I used floor Matt from lows, it's about the same density as neoprene at a fraction of the price.

What kind of tank is it? Does it have a bottom trim piece? I've always heard that tanks with bottom trims SHOULD NOT be placed on foam. Only rimless type aquariums.

I went to home depot to get the foam and saw that it was like 2" thick and did not wamt the tank to sit up that high, so I just shimmed the plywood and it worked perfectly. I have the pictures of the stand in the build thread. It came out great and perfectly level. Thanks everyone

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back