To cover 6 feet tank with Reefbreeders photon LED

dz6t

Acro Garden, BRS Sponsor
BRS Sponsor
BRS Member
There are two options to cover a 6 feet tank with Reefbreeders Photon v2+ or Pro led:
1. Use 2x 32 inch Reefbreeders Photon V2+ or Pro led, with a set of Reefbreeders Link bars, you can use the included mounting legs to mount the two fixtures as one unit.
This option will give you a lot of light for the most light demanding coral and clams. Great for a SPS dominated reef.

2. Use 2x 24 inch Reefbreeders Photon v2+ or Pro led. In this case, this setup is good for SPS/LPS mix reef.

Both options will provide good coverage of the entire tank.

Hope this help.

I am an authorized Reefbreeders retailers and I am more than happy to answer your questions and provide customer support.

Thank you very much
Dong
978-505-8232

Hi, I’m currently considering getting reefbreeders light to put over my 6’ Red Sea 750xxl (72”x 26” x 24” tank)… I currently have a 61” T5 hybrid fixture from aquatic life and was wondering if the 50” v2 pro would work in between the T5 fixture or would the (2) 32” be better off? Also is there a recommended mount height for this setup? My goal for the tank is mixed reef mostly softies with some SPS on higher sections of my aquascape. Thanks!

The gap on the Aquaticlife t5 Hybride is a bit narrower than a Reefbreeders photon pro, you can rest the light on top of the Aquaticlife hybrid but it won’t fit totally flush in between.
The coverage will be ok if you use the t5.
With 2 32 inch Reefbreeders v2 pro, you can skip the t5 hybrid.
To get better coverage from front to back, you can add Reefbreeders luminbars on each side.

I will suggest mount the light fixture 12 to 18 inch above water surface, then use a par meter to determine the intensity of the light.

Can always build your own light rail as well and mount any configuration you want and hang from the ceiling or build mounting legs.. Here is another set up for a 6' tank. Lights can be adjusted length wise on the rail as needed and then the rail itself is adjustable over the width of the tank.
lights on rail.jpg

Can always build your own light rail as well and mount any configuration you want and hang from the ceiling or build mounting legs.. Here is another set up for a 6' tank. Lights can be adjusted length wise on the rail as needed and then the rail itself is adjustable over the width of the tank.View attachment 172309
The blanket coverage of the entire tank is the ultimate solution for full SPS reef! Wonderful build.

When Triton, yes the ICP Triton, started its business in Europe by building custom led fixtures that covered entire tank. Back then, you were looking at tens of thousands of Euro for each custom led panel, that was the cost of a Honda Civic back then.

Can always build your own light rail as well and mount any configuration you want and hang from the ceiling or build mounting legs.. Here is another set up for a 6' tank. Lights can be adjusted length wise on the rail as needed and then the rail itself is adjustable over the width of the tank.View attachment 172309
I was considering something like this but I just wasn’t trying to spend that money right now since we spent a lot of money remodeling the house and seeing that I had the 61” T5’s I figured I’d try to get a setup that would work with them if possible. I thought the 50” reefbreeder photon v2 pro would have worked with the T5 hybrid as I’ve heard people doing that set up before. But if it’s not recommended and If I’m getting (2) 32” photons that’s $1,614 on top of the roughly $2,000 I’m about to spend on APEX set up. At that point that price range is right up there with other options like

(4) Radion G5 XR15’s for $1,847
recommended spread 18”

(3) Kessil’s 360x’s for $1,536
recommended spread 24”

Kessil is a point source light, which is good for coral that is flat like zoas or plate coral. For tree like coral, the harsh shadow will not be good for them except monti plates. After a decade of using led clusters, Radion goes back to panel layout for a big reason, horticulture industry always sticks to led panels. By the way, metal halide is never considered as a point source light because they were always used with reflectors.
look at the well regarded Philips coral care led, it bills itself the most advanced led light because it is a led acts like a t5 panel. Well, I can see there is some issue with this truth-telling marketing strategy that lead to poor sales in US.

For years, I had been critical to Radions’s design from G1 to G4 and I was not the only one in the aquaculture industry either. But when they came out with G5, I believe they are excellent lights if they are in your price range.

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back