Tonight @7P on Rappin' - Ben & Rich Reef Beef + Tullio Reef Brite

ReefBum

BRS Sponsor
BRS Member
Buckle up because this is going to be a good one.....Reef Beefers Ben & Rich + Tullio from Reef Brite!

Can’t wait! I watched all your videos and I now have withdrawal symptoms waiting for your new video.

Just my opinion regarding UV and bacteria on coral, the strength of UV from metal halide is not strong enough and the wavelength is not short enough to kill bacteria on coral. If a metal halide bulb is not properly shielded, the UV from the bulb will damage coral before bacteria can be affected.
Many sps especially acro in our hobby are living at depth from 50 to 100 feet deep, so they won’t expose to sufficient UV radiation that is strong enough to affect the bacteria living on them let alone expose to air during low tide.

Last edited:
Regarding testing bacteria in water, coming from a background of infectious disease, here are my opinions:
1. Testing bacteria in the water does not tell you what bacteria on the coral and what problems they can cause. Because they can be wildly different.
2. When a harmless bacteria over populated, it can cause disease.
Regardless how many data gathered by this testing efforts, the data base that generated is not useful to help identify coral diseases that cause RTN or STN.

That reminds me a story I was told by a professor:
A man was looking for something under a lamp post on the street at night, when asked, he said he was looking for his keys.
When asked where he lost his keys, he said he lost them on the dark street several blocks away. When he was asked why he was searching them under the lamp post, he said because he could see well because there was light here.

Another point I want to make is:

It is correct that a photon is a photon, as long as they are the same wavelength.

A watt is not a watt. Currently LED can generate a lot more photon than metal halide by using a watt. That makes led more efficient in electricity usage.

On a side note. Your video triggered my craving of pizza…

Many thanks for the comments, Dong. It is great to hear different perspectives and to continue these discussions. Very educational.

Keith, you are very welcome. Thank you very much for providing the platform for all these in depth discussions. Your shows indeed the best on Youtube.
on the topic of metal halide, it is not very well understood why but metal halide grows the most natural looking acro and despite the lower par reading, coral growth is still better than led. T5 is somewhere in between.

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back