Tridacna clams from Petco??

JeanR

BRS Member
And yes, I know Petco has a bad reputation...but a BRS member told me he picked up a clam from his local Petco, which was surprising as I didn't think they carried them.

I visited the Needham Petco last weekend and talked with a guy named Adam. He told me that Petco can special order Tridacna clams and the prices we quoted were very cheap. They can order a 2-3" squamosa (blander colors) and derasa for $40. They can order 2" ultra blue maximas for $50. Clams take about a week to come in and they recommend same day pickup so they can give it to you right in the bag it shipped in.

Does anyone have experience with clams from Petco??? At these prices (half of LiveAquaria) it is super tempting to try...

I bought a squamosa from them 3 weeks ago.
3C0B001E-FDD8-4FDC-9D94-3B2D0B53F3AA.jpeg

It’s doing good as far as I can tell. It’s my first clam so I have no real knowledge on keeping them besides what I read online.

I've also had good luck surprisingly with the livestock ive purchased from petco.

Sounds odd, but I've even got them to price match their website to their store prices on their marine livestock. It is significantly cheaper.

I have gotten several salt water items, from coral to fish, from petco and have had no horror stories. I believe they get all their fish and coral from liveaquaria.com. if you make a request they can order it and save you the shipping cost, at least that is what I have done in the past.

My first experience with Petco, I had bought a few fish, and put them straight in my FOWLR 155 bowfront. (Keep in mind this was 6 years ago, I was a rookie and didn't even know what Ick was lol). Long story short the fish came in, major ick outbreak and 90% of my fish died :(. However, I went back with pictures of the chaos and death, suited up, and nicely advised them to make the situation right or I'd take legal action. The manager was on my side and after fighting with corporate I wound up with a nice fat petco gift card/store credit. I still buy stuff there all the time, its hit or miss. Neon Dottybacks go for $25, vs $50-80 elsewhere...... if you do get fish from there....I highly highly highly recommend quarantining, their prices are pretty good too.

Petco in Woburn has a good selection and they have a separate frag tank with clams. I think their lighting sucks because the colors are bland.

I got my bicolor angel there for $10 because it had a big eye. I QT the fish and medicated but the eye stayed big, a year later it is the same.

I also got 2 firefish from there for my reef tank. Like someone else said, QT and treat with CP. You can usually spot the ich or velvet of you look close enough.

There is nothing wrong buying from Petco. For supply chains, Petco/Liveaquaria get fish from the same major wholesalers as LFS. They also get better volume discount, better shipping practice from wholesalers and Petco/LA have bigger discount from UPS. I have seen fish shipped to Petco that packed with so much water which LFS can't normally afford to. Buyers always pay for shipping from wholesalers.

Their clams are normally from ORA and some major clam farms.

Petco has generally lower price for saltwater fish and clam than LFS because first of all, they are trying for years to replace LFS. Second, their overheads are generally paid for by cat food and dog food anyway. Petco managers normally do not have the pressure as LFS owners because they collect pay checks from the corporate instead of relying on sales profit to feed their family.

Petco in Leominster seems to have clams form time to time and they appear to be healthy..Want to try one but I don't think my system is up to it

Petco in Leominster seems to have clams form time to time and they appear to be healthy..Want to try one but I don't think my system is up to it
I was there today. The guy there says all the tanks are coming down in July and a brand new system is going in.

does anyone know if they are able to get Crocea clams?
I am in the market for this type specifically thanks

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back