trying to cycle

Corwyn

I am in Raynham
Hi gang,

So I set up my new e170
used base rock I had left over and 40# of live sand I ordered.

Did the red sea starter kit and I still seem to not be going through cycle
PH is under 8 ammonia is .03
tanks been up for about 3 weeks

I DO not want to add a fish.
should I add some live rock or just a piece of shrimp or something to boost the ammonia?
Should I run lights?

Cory

Not familiar with Red Sea starter kit but I assume it’s bacteria and some kind of ammonia source.
Do you add ammonia daily to the tank?

It seams that your tank should’ve been cycled by day 15. If you kept with their instructions you stopped adding the bacteria growth portion on that day. If you don’t add a ammonia source the bacteria will just start starving and eventually die.

I did the same thing and had a hard time finishing off my cycle until i added one fish after my amm fell. After the fish my cycle finished in 3 days. I did dose prime to make sure tge fish was protected.
Also, lights off as long as possible. I tried putting my lights on after a week and within a few days algae was growing. Lights back off, algae died.
After about 2 weeks post cycle i was able to fire up my lights with no algae issues

Also... Are you testing for nitrate and nitrites? Curious where those are at... After amm drops the nitrites should jump

I don't want to add a fish because I don't think that any fish I want to add would survive and I just don't want them to die.
Bangy cardinals, gobies,
Nitrite is showing at 3.3
Lights are off - no sign of ANY kind of algea
Should I run skimmer?
Also, my salinity is a bit too high I think at 1.27.

oh what should I use as an ammonia source? I was thinking of a small piece of raw shrimp?

I’d look into this but I’m pretty sure nitrites aren’t harmful to fish only ammonia is.
The shrimp will take too long to start decomposing. Do you still have the Red Sea stuff?

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back