Washing sand and rocks

Ok... so now I have a new question.
The rocks were placed in a rubbermaid container this morning with pump and heater in saltwater. I am adding some live bacteria to help get it going. Should I be ghost feeding the rock or just allow the what there is assumed of organic waste in the rock to feed the bacteria?

I would add either ammonia to kick start the cycle or put a cube or two of frozen food. Pellets can take a while to break down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just ordered some Dr. Tims ammonia and One and Only to start my cycle. Supposedly my "live sand" will have bacteria already but I figured can't hurt to add the bottled stuff too. But yes, I think such a clean new tank will need some ammonia source to feed and grow the bacteria population so whether it's pure ammonia, dead shrimp, or food, it's a good idea.

I'm actually going on vacation next week so won't start my cycle until I get back. Although I may through some frozen food in there just to feed and bacteria (if any) already exists. :)

I really appreciate all the advice I got from everyone. I am so glad I started the rock separately for many reasons. It looks to be doing well... I added 2 cubes of brine shrimp and a few doses of https://fritzaquatics.com/product/fritzzyme-9-saltwater/ and have both https://arcreef.com/product/coralline-algae/ and http://www.prodibio.com/bacteria-ta...eshwater-marine-aquarium-bilogical-filtration on their way...
Might be overkill but rather be safe then sorry. My goal was to introduce a good mix of bacteria, coraline algae and get my cycle started quickly without introducing any unwanted inhabitants.
Really glad to have the rock separate for this process, especially due to the smell after introducing the bacteria :p

Nice! I'm not that familiar with prodibio, but won't it be doing the same job as the frtizzyme?
The little I know by doing research explained that there are several, some speculations said up to 7 beneficial bacteria strains in the reef tank... I honestly don't know much but I figured it couldn't hurt to use as many as possible. Prodibio does list some strains it contains but I couldn't find the same info on fritz
Like I was saying I am probably over doing it but I figured it couldn't hurt. The coraline algae in a bottle was so I can introduce the algae into the tank without using anything that came from another system possibly carrying other issues on it...
I know eventually I will add some frags and what not that will introduce things into the tank but I want to do my best to control what goes in...

Last edited:
The little I know by doing research explained that there are several, some speculations said up to 7 beneficial bacteria strains in the reef tank... I honestly don't know much but I figured it couldn't hurt to use as many as possible. Prodibio does list some strains it contains but I couldn't find the same info on fritz
Like I was saying I am probably over doing it but I figured it couldn't hurt. The coraline algae in a bottle was so I can introduce the algae into the tank without using anything that came from another system possibly carrying other issues on it...
I know eventually I will add some frags and what not that will introduce things into the tank but I want to do my best to control what goes in...

ok, cool. Makes sense!

So after a few days... I have added 2 types of bacteria products and feed mysis and brine shrimp cubes to the container.
I still can't get any Ammonia, Nitrite or Nitrate reading. They are all showing 0 with color drop tests.

Should I be seeing any of these levels rising or is it just too soon?

The bacteria should be consuming it as fast as your adding it. Keep checking daily for ammonia , normally a cycle is 1 month but that prodibio shouldn’t really let it have a cycle :cool:

Agree with Chris A. Remember... the reason you are adding bacteria is so it can consume ammonia and nitrite. If your bacteria level is big enough to consume it quickly then you don't get detectable levels. This is also the reason many of these bacteria starters say you can add a fish or two right away, because there's enough bacteria to keep up with the waste produced. I'd probably up the ammonia source and test again for another couple days to see what you get. I would think at very least you should get some nitrate levels?

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back