What's considered a safe temp swing?

For what it is worth I have two thermometers in my tank. A 150watt and 200 Watts. One is set for 79 and one is set at 78. This way if it dips down below 78 both work to get the tank back to temp faster than one. Maybe a second heater would help reduce the cycles and keep the tank more constant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For what it is worth I have two thermometers in my tank. A 150watt and 200 Watts. One is set for 79 and one is set at 78. This way if it dips down below 78 both work to get the tank back to temp faster than one. Maybe a second heater would help reduce the cycles and keep the tank more constant.

Interesting, but I'd rather just the single heater as my sump space is limited. I just don't see why my 150watt heater can't keep up. Are these ratings they are given based off surrounding average room temp maybe? I suppose it makes some sense, if my tank was surrounded by negative degree wether then an even larger heater would be needed, right?

Yeah the rating is depending on how many degrees difference the room temp is and the tank temp. I think the Aqueon Pro box that I had explained that. Here is their manual. When your temp dropped to 55 your heater could not keep up. 20 degree difference means you would have needed 200-250 Watts.

I would have a back up just in case. That was one thing that someone suggested to me that I took to heart. Incase of a power outage temp will rise faster too!

f25056a6bf2eb222f2c93c33fcd82435.jpg

Thanks aresangel. I do have extra heaters laying around that I suppose I could throw in to keep up during any event my house temp goes below normal.

sort of related...I forgot to turn my heater back on after a water change last night and it dipped to 70 degrees for the morning. First, do you think I did any harm to anything (namely lps and anemone)...and second, should I bring the temp back up gradually, or just get it there asap?

sort of related...I forgot to turn my heater back on after a water change last night and it dipped to 70 degrees for the morning. First, do you think I did any harm to anything (namely lps and anemone)...and second, should I bring the temp back up gradually, or just get it there asap?

Bring it back up slowly. I've had all my livestock survive a drop into the 60's years ago during power outage.

Cold shock is much better than warm shock. If it was over night I would think little long term damage to some corals (lps specifically). A couple days then I would be worried.

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back