Whats wrong with my acan?

ileas

Non-member
My acan coral has been looking like this the past few days and I'm concerned. All my other lps and corals, in general, are fine.
IMG_1275.JPG

Testing water parameters is important. So that people can help you with issues like this.
Salifert test kits are inexpensive and accurate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The important test as I see it are, SG,Temp,alk,ca, then mg.
Without them is like driving a car with no headlights in the fog.
Only a matter of time till the crash.

Acans can be difficult. Those look as though the tissue is receding from the skeleton.
Not a good sign. Depending how big your tank is the death could start a chain reaction.

See if you can get an alk test kit. Even an API from Petco will work.

The important test as I see it are, SG,Temp,alk,ca, then mg.
Without them is like driving a car with no headlights in the fog.
Only a matter of time till the crash.

Acans can be difficult. Those look as though the tissue is receding from the skeleton.
Not a good sign. Depending how big your tank is the death could start a chain reaction.

See if you can get an alk test kit. Even an API from Petco will work.
Ill try something.

Testing water parameters is important. So that people can help you with issues like this.
Salifert test kits are inexpensive and accurate.

I have a tank where my acans are healthy should i put it in there?

I watched a video from bulk reef supply on test kits. They didn’t use salifert in their testing of a few different kits. It was said that it was hard to read due in the color comparison to see what your levels are at. Any truth to this? Opinions?

it depends on the which test of each brand.
The easiest are ones that use a count of drops to make a color change, then translate drop count to a chart. I always avoid the ones with the color comparison charts.
IE:
Salifert Magnesium
Elos Alkalinity(expensive)
API Calcium(cheap)....some API use color charts..not the calcium at least

As said above you definitely would want to invest in your and have on hand if you going to keep corals. As you should be testing certain levels on the regular

Regardless how Coral look in a tank, you still need to test the water. Many coral will tolerate poor water conditions for a while, then go downhill suddenly and may not recover.
Like Frank said, you need to test your water. It is part of the reef keeping and it is important.

Regardless how Coral look in a tank, you still need to test the water. Many coral will tolerate poor water conditions for a while, then go downhill suddenly and may not recover.
Like Frank said, you need to test your water. It is part of the reef keeping and it is important.

So don't move it and just test the water? Because my acan in the other tank is doing great and this is the only coral that's affected. Honestly, it could be my coral beauty but who knows.

Testing water is highly recommended. I will take that coral beauty out, more than likely it is picking on the acan.

Not to just jump on this but use whatever brand test kit you want. But most people are testing their water way before owning corals.

If you bring me a sample over I’ll test your water parameters. I have a nice set of red sea and Hanna checkers for alk. Cal. Ultra low phosphate and ph.

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back