Where do you buy Koi

I'll see about a pic, but they are in the pond, so it will be "top view".

Pricing .... small ones (~3") $18/ea (what I picked up) .... 5" range ..$35 and it goes up from there.

Currently there are only a few of the small ones left (inside), but setup in the parking lot are quite a few approx. 6' x 4' x 2'deep wood/tubs with Indonesian koi, Japanese koi as well as various multi color "goldfish" varieties.

I'll see about a pic, but they are in the pond, so it will be "top view".

Pricing .... small ones (~3") $18/ea (what I picked up) .... 5" range ..$35 and it goes up from there.

Currently there are only a few of the small ones left (inside), but setup in the parking lot are quite a few approx. 6' x 4' x 2'deep wood/tubs with Indonesian koi, Japanese koi as well as various multi color "goldfish" varieties.
Nice that’s awesome chief.

The pics I took aren't worth posting, but a neighbor of mine this weekend said that Country Gardens in Rowley had a good selection of "pond fish". I have not visited it, but if I lived closer to Rowley, I would "give it look".

The pics I took aren't worth posting, but a neighbor of mine this weekend said that Country Gardens in Rowley had a good selection of "pond fish". I have not visited it, but if I lived closer to Rowley, I would "give it look".

Got it thanks for the heads up

1653324792361.png

What is critical in keeping koi in the winter is the need to maintain some "open water" to allow for gas exchange.

I have used a "donut" heater that leaves a small gap open when the pond freezes over. This has worked fine for me over the last ~10 years or so, but this winter I lost quite a number of koi even though it wasn't that cold a winter.

I am still not 100% sure of root cause, but I suspect that as the fish got larger (oldest was probably 5 yrs old) they consumed more 02 and/or with the warmer periods this winter, gas exchange couldn't keep up with detritus decomposing during warm periods. This winter I plan to add two "aerators" about a foot off the bottom and they bubble and supposedly keep ice from forming. Time will tell, but my battery chainsaw will always be ready to open some ice.

If anyone has any other ideas, I am happy to listen. I have run pumps through the winter and that works fine except if the GFI trips, the pipes freeze and when running, it leaves enough open area that a mink got in one year and cleaned the pond out.

... and of course, through all of this, the three cent feeder goldfish (lottery winners in the goldfish world) are still doing fine.
I used a pond aerator from Tetra. First winter for the pond. I started with the donut heater but was really unimpressed so quickly switched to that. The two donut stones kept a decent size hole pretty much all winter. The couple nights/days where we got real arctic in February I had to smash some ice. Where the stones were the ice was very very thin and since the pond was still getting air I didn’t worry too much. All 7 35 cent comets that went in there in September survived and are now about 5” and round.

I did keep the aerator under a 5 gallon bucket to keep it out of the weather as recommended. Seems silly that pond things aren’t made to sustain weather

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back