Where would you buy new equipment?

FishieBusiness

BRS Member
I'm starting a new build and that requires all new LARGER equipment for 175g display. All my other builds have been with used or DIY stuff. No problem with DIY don't get me wrong. This time I'd like to go with some of the more sophisticated equipment. Sump, Skimmer, Power heads and lighting a few others.

There are a ton of online vendors for equipment. Who do you like? Who would you recommend?

I'm interested in what everyone thinks.

Thanks.

I also try and support small businesses whenever possible, I would check in with @sponser, most of them carry or can order lots of the same stuff as the bigger online vendors.

I'm starting a new build and that requires all new LARGER equipment for 175g display. All my other builds have been with used or DIY stuff. No problem with DIY don't get me wrong. This time I'd like to go with some of the more sophisticated equipment. Sump, Skimmer, Power heads and lighting a few others.

There are a ton of online vendors for equipment. Who do you like? Who would you recommend?

Thanks.
i usually order my stuff from aquacave because of no taxes if purchase big items. but if things i need urgent i usually order from bulkreefsupply.

I'm a fan of saltwateraquarium.com. Great service and often the lowest price by a few bucks. Supporting your LFS is important, but often your LFS cost is close to online prices anyway. Your LFS will usually make significantly less money than you think on big ticket items. Buying your livestock and frozen foods from brick-and-mortar stores is the best way to support the LFS in my opinion. Ttran also has a great point about sales tax. Best of luck and there's just no substitute for shopping!...

BRS free shipping takes longer than a week usually and charges tax while saltwateraquarium free shipping arrives often in 3-4 business days and no tax at least to RI. In the age of same day amazon delivery, >week is painful.

Last edited:
Most of the bigger items are msrp locked with pricing so buying local is only eating tax if they can get it.

Aquarium Specialty has some good stuff too

I do prefer to shop local. Love the reef (a sponsor) is a great local place for me for equipment. However, they don’t have a great online representation of what gear they have. If there’s something they don’t have, I’ll either order from bulk reef supply or saltwateraquarium.com. Saltwater aquarium was a big reason I got into reefing, and there a smaller companies in bulk reef supply, not owned by big investment companies, so I like giving them some business if I need to.

Not that we are really local but we stock most of the equipment you would want at the same price as all of the online places. If you are getting a bunch of stuff we could ship it to you.

Thanks.

Thanks.
We’re happy to help you @ All Things Aquatic. We can get you anything you see online for the same price if you have particular equipment you want, or we can help you design the system and make equipment recommendations. Whatever you need!

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back