Zoanthid Algae Treatment

new2saltyfish

Non-member
I have a mini colony of blue hornets that are giving me some trouble. I've had them for a few months (it's actually2 frags that I got from 2 different sources and put them together on the same tile). One of the polyp groups is fine while the other is covered in almost a green slime algae that is difficult to brush off. None of my other Zoanthids have this issue although I did have a small frag of rainbow hornets that had this and melted after a few months. Rather than wait for this to happen again, is there any dip/treatment I can do to help bring these Zoanthids back? I've have the Red Sea coral dip that I dip all new corals in. This worked at reviving an can that got in a fight with a hammer and lost a polyp. Any suggestions?

Last edited:
You can do a dip with hydrogen peroxide. When I've done it I just poured some hydrogen peroxide in a container, added 4 times as much water and dropped the frag in for a few minutes. It might be a good idea to do a search on it to see if there are better dilutions to use. I did mine on the fly. Didn't lose any Zoas but they were closed up a few days.

You can do a dip with hydrogen peroxide. When I've done it I just poured some hydrogen peroxide in a container, added 4 times as much water and dropped the frag in for a few minutes. It might be a good idea to do a search on it to see if there are better dilutions to use. I did mine on the fly. Didn't lose any Zoas but they were closed up a few days.
Just tried this thanks for the suggestion. After reading it looks like some have had success doing this every other day with a max of 3x in one week.

I have also done the hydrogen peroxide dip with zoas for algae I follow this guide on reef2reef. I’ve also dipped zoas in the past that wouldn’t open for me in an iodine solution following seachems reefdip instructions per Dongs advice with 100% success rate.

I have also done the hydrogen peroxide dip with zoas for algae I follow this guide on reef2reef. I’ve also dipped zoas in the past that wouldn’t open for me in an iodine solution following seachems reefdip instructions per Dongs advice with 100% success rate.

Thanks a lot! That’s an awesome resource. You used seachem which is iodine based? I see the directions for it on that thread. Are those the same you used?

Thanks a lot! That’s an awesome resource. You used seachem which is iodine based? I see the directions for it on that thread. Are those the same you used?
I believe it is the same as in that thread but I remember at the time Dong said follow the directions of seachem reef deep, so I looked it up and followed that. *Edit: I just looked it up and it is the same from reefdip instructions to what is on that website guide.* I did just get iodine from the drugstore I forgot to mention that part exactly the same thing and cheaper. That was more for zoas that I bought that didn’t want to open after a few days and had potential bacterial infections.

I actually dipped the blue hornets I got from you. I’m not sure if you remember I told you how they didn’t open at first then they did. But then something in my tank annoyed them a few days later so they closed up I dipped them and they loved it and they are growing really well for me ever since.

I have dipped zoas that were being encroached by algae using the hydrogen peroxide dip guide in that forum with great results. I used the 1:1 method for 1 minute I shook and swirled the zoas the entire time to try and help then I rinsed them in a cup of tank water then back in the tank.

Hope that helps, good luck!

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back