Frag Freaks

Thread: suggestion on stocking order please

Default suggestion on stocking order please

I am looking for suggestions on fish stocking timings, first a little about my setup.
    I have a 180 gallon tank setup to be FOWLR, cycle complete, about 80lbs live rock and 100 pounds dry rock well on its way to becoming LR, 55 gallon sump in and running with dual filter socks and an Eshopps s-300 protein skimmer rated for 250-350G tank, refugium that is running but not established yet and first two fish added
    I am ready to start planning my next fish and looking for suggestions on the order to add the fish on my stock list as well as how fast with the QT process I am thinking two fish every 4 weeks.
    Here are the fish in order that I think I will add them but not really sure the Puffers should be first just because of how messy of eaters they are.
    1. Dogface and porcupine puffer (both small 3-5”) or DF and long horned cowfish TBD on suggestions here
    2. Triggers either male and female Blue throat or male BT and Pinktail
    3. Fuzzy dwarf lion fish and pair Sunburst Anthias and clown fish
    4. Kole tang and powder blue tang
    5. Would love a blue hippo tang but fear it outgrowing the tank

I am adding the puffers knowing I may never have corals but do hope to add established clowns with a nem as I hear they will protect it, thoughts?
    I have heard mixed articles on the cowfish, always wanted one but have read they can wipe out an entire tank with their toxin if they become threatened or die unexpectedly but have read the long horn cowfish is very unlikely to have happen with.
    Don’t hate on me but what are thoughts on Petco fish?? I ask because they have the puffers we are looking for and they are small like we want whereas the LFS always seem to be of a medium size. Our local petco over the past year has stepped up their game and the tanks always look good and the guy that is always there seems to know his stuff but more concerned with the source at this point.

Yes I am a newbie to SW, lots of FW experience currenlty running 3 Tanganyika tanks so looking forward to any suggestions, off to setup a QT tank and thanks for reading my long post

Good day,

I have kept Long horns for over thirty years and have never had an issue. I have had them die and not foul the tank. I currently have one in a 90 gal reef. He loves his pair of clown fish, he mothers over them like I have never seen before. They are smart and love to eat from the hand. Be careful when they get big they hurt lol..

Brian

I may suggest skipping the Fuzzy Dwarf for two reasons. First, you generally don't want to keep them with any fish that is shorter than the lion. Its possible some of your smaller fish could become nice meals. Second, you don't want to keep lions with 'pinckers' such as large Angels, Triggers, or Puffers. They will literally eat the spines off of lions.

Otherwise, I think your list and stocking order sounds fine. Two fish every month is good, as would be one fish every two weeks. A Blue Hippo will be fine in a 180 longterm, no issues there. If you do add it, I would add it as the first Tang, then the Kole, then the Powder Blue.

Finally, since there was no mention of it, I strongly recommend QT all fish. You have a few that are a disease (Ich) prone. I do a minimum of 6-8 weeks.

I guess I'll have to read up on QT'ing I though it was a 4-5 week QT that was where the 4 week cycle of adding two fish came from. so to do two a month I would need two QT tanks then?

I was also wondering when you buy from fellow reefers that have nice established tanks is the QT still such a long cycle? you know what I mean, you look at a tank you would love to own and you treat the fish the same as if it came from your LFS?

Quote Originally Posted by mvallee View Post
    I guess I'll have to read up on QT'ing I though it was a 4-5 week QT that was where the 4 week cycle of adding two fish came from. so to do two a month I would need two QT tanks then?

I was also wondering when you buy from fellow reefers that have nice established tanks is the QT still such a long cycle? you know what I mean, you look at a tank you would love to own and you treat the fish the same as if it came from your LFS?
    First question, you can do two QT's if you want (I did), or you can just use one tank and wait the 6-8 weeks. Second question, yes, same QT procedure as if you got it from a LFS or online.