Masna

Thread: Expired Interceptor

Default Expired Interceptor

I found 5 interceptor taps that expired 04/06. Are they still ok to use for coral treatment?
    180G Reef, 100G sump, 4 way Ocean motion, 2 Sea Swirls, 2 Tunze 6100's, ACIII Pro, 75G refugium, 3 x 250 MH DE Phoenix 14k, 2 x 250 MH DE Ushio 10k
    Jeff

I think that my vet said that they lose their effectiveness 6 months after the expiration on the box. I don't know if that is him just saying this to cover himself or if it really works. Best bet might be to call the manufacturer and ask them but they may also give you the company line.
    Andy

Punk

I, like Andy O, was told that Interceptor is good for up to six months after the printed expiration date on the package. We get it free for our dogs from my father in-law when there's a surplus or if a package reaches the expiration date. He's a veterinarian.
    Last edited by paulthomas; 11-27-2006 at 08:34 AM. Reason: Misread prior post

Just second'ing too fly. My vet in FL use to give me expired interceptor, said it was good 6 months after expiration.
    Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened.

The only major concern is if Interceptor or any heartworm preventitive is exposed to air for more than 1 day or so the medication will not be effective also exposure to light as well. But as long as it is fully sealed it should not ba a problem.
    Nicole and Steve

180 Gallon SPS, LPS and softy tank

So how about those of us that take a pill and cut it up to use it as a dip? Your saying molecular structure of the active ingredient is not stable when exposed to the atmosphere? That would be a very difficult drug to manufacture!

Well this is why they make several different sizes FOR DOGS. All I know is that they would not package them in air tight packages away from air and light if it would not effect the active ingredient. This is why I have asked people in the past if you could use the small dog size so you do not waste medication. The same is true for other medications our pets take for example Clavamox also known as augmentin.
    Nicole and Steve

I am just looking at it from a manufacturing stand point, since I develop drugs for a living. I have just never heard of a compound in powder form that would react with the atmosphere. Again how would you manufacter it, it would be exposed to the air during this process.

Also Nicole, I don't think the packages are air tight. There seems to be an air pocket in the ones I have seen. Although I am sure I don't see them as much as you do!
    Last edited by MikeG; 11-27-2006 at 09:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TOO FLY View Post
    I, like Andy O, was told that Interceptor is good for up to six months after the printed expiration date on the package. We get it free for our dogs from my father in-law when there's a surplus or if a package reaches the expiration date. He's a veterinarian.
    That avatar is a riot!
    very nyyeeesss.
    Elos System 70 w/250w HQI

When a man talks dirty to a woman, it's sexual harassment. When a woman talks dirty to a man, it's $4.95 per minute.

Punk

I glad you like. I go now shoot dog and have a party. Jecqui.

I have no idea how they make it. All I know is that we are told by the company that it can not be exposed to air for long periods or time. They told us that the medication would evaporate out if it and that is why they package it the way they do. But it could also have to do with the flavoring of the tablents. They are beef flavored and maybe it effects the taste. I have no idea, I am going by what the drug company told us!
    Nicole and Steve