Fleece roller mats?

ChrisV

BRS Member
Hi all,

I am in the process of (slowly) setting up a LPS dominated 40 cube tank. It's one of the IM fusion pro 2 all in one tanks. I will be using a Tunze 9004 skimmer for the tank.

The model I have normally includes a filter sock, and I'm considering either swapping the filter sock out for a nano sized fleece roller mat, or removing the mechanical filtration all together.

I have two concerns: 1) I'm a little concerned that I will completely zero out my nitrates with a roller mat, and 2) the tank is in our bedroom and I know that there will be ...less support... for the hobby if I make out bedroom smell like low tide.

I've never used a roller mat before. For those of you who run roller mats, what do you think? I probably wouldn't bother, but I know that frogfish do tend to produce a lot of waste.

Thoughts?

I love my roller mats and have some experience with several different brands and styles. Regarding your specific concerns, look closely at the KLIR 4 or 7" roller that will drop into a filter sock hole. The area the dirty roll collects in is pretty much sealed off and has a carbon filter to absorb any odor. I've never noticed any smells from the KLIR or my Aquamaxx or Bubble Magus rollers, but I smoke and might not have the best "Stink Sensor". On the topic of stripping your tank too clean, look at the KLIR fleece roller stand. This not only is a solid mount for the roller unit, but allows a by-pass so you only filter a smaller portion of the column. I should also point out the stand without the fleece would allow you to use a sock or the roller, so if running a sock with bypass interests you, you can play around and find a happy balance. I have a 7" KLIR and think highly of it but for all out performance/value I don't think there is a better value than the Aquamaxx. I think the short coming of the KLIR (especially the 4") is that the filter width must fit through a relatively small hole, so it's going to advance way more often than one that has a 6-8" wide roll. That being said, you can pickup a used KLIR from a reefer that though it would work with a heavy bioload and is disappointed. Your needs seem to be perfect for a "Light duty/volume roller and the KLIR seems right for you. If you ever visit All Things Aquatic or are near Foxboro drop me a PM. Happy to let you paw both the stand and roller unit I have that just got a citric acid bath and not currently in use.

Back