Order of adding fish to a 125g?

ileas

Non-member
I have 2 clownfish and a yellow watchman goby in my tank currently, they came from my old tank along with a blood shrimp and 2 pep shrimps. Heres a list of everything else I want to add. I've tried doing research but it really doesn't help. What order should I add these fish?
Yellow Tang
another tang
foxface rabbitfish
Royal gramma
Yellow coris wrasse (Are they reef safe?)
2 Other wrasses
Some Angelfish
**Updated according to comments**

Last edited:
Everything else, then angel, then tangs.

I'm not familiar with the sweetlips other than that they get very large. Did somed quick research - apparently they are also difficult to feed and like to eat little critters (particularly shrimp). Can you picture a 12"+ fish in your tank? They can hit over 2', so likely to reach that 12" size easily if it eats well enough to survive. That plus the bioload in addition to the tangs would be an awful lot in a 125g.

Note that sailfin tangs also get pretty big - with 2-3 tangs, the foxface, and the angel you'll need to be providing lots of nori, everyone is a grazer and hungry fish are less accommodating to others in their turf.

Everything else, then angel, then tangs.

I'm not familiar with the sweetlips other than that they get very large. Did somed quick research - apparently they are also difficult to feed and like to eat little critters (particularly shrimp). Can you picture a 12"+ fish in your tank? They can hit over 2', so likely to reach that 12" size easily if it eats well enough to survive. That plus the bioload in addition to the tangs would be an awful lot in a 125g.

Note that sailfin tangs also get pretty big - with 2-3 tangs, the foxface, and the angel you'll need to be providing lots of nori, everyone is a grazer and hungry fish are less accommodating to others in their turf.
I bought a lot of nori already have it sitting vacuum sealed and ready to go :). I had no idea the sweetlips got that big, just did some research and they have a max size oif 30" wow. Is everything else reef safe? obviously need to see what angel and wrasses I get but is the yellow wrasse safe?

My advice is take your time and read up on all the fish that you're interested in adding. Unfortunately adding a larger predator like a grouper will mean you will not be keeping smaller fish or shrimp in your tank for long.

Also would like a grouper
A small grouper of 5 inches only, ate 8 of my fishes in 2 days including 2 snowflake clown of 3 inches each. They are beautiful but you better keep them in one tank for groupers only. It took me 3 hours to remove him from my tank.

Imho, I would not put the sailfin in the 125 unless it was the only tang...even then it's a gamble. With all the other fish listed, maybe only 1 or at most 2 smaller tangs. ...add last, at the same time. The yellow and fox face may work.

Imho, I would not put the sailfin in the 125 unless it was the only tang...even then it's a gamble. With all the other fish listed, maybe only 1 or at most 2 smaller tangs. ...add last, at the same time. The yellow and fox face may work.
Is there any other tang that would work I’d really like to put a yellow in

you could likeley have 2 tangs in this size tank, just get the smaller size tangs (at adult size). I say this because you have listed a number of fish that will increase your stress level in the tank. Multiple tangs are always a gamble though. I have 4 in a 265 and they fought a bit in the beginning, now they still bicker, but have calmed down a little. Larger tang types like Naso, or Sailfins are a bad idea and will likely cause you pain soon enough. I think the yellow Tang and Foxface may be fine, but just add them last. Aslo, Either re think adding an angel to this mix or lessen the total amount of fish you are planning.....and go slow (its hard for all of us to do) ;-) JME and IMHO...

Sailin get really big and they aren’t that good looking when the fish isn’t flashing it’s fins. Sweetlip just simply get too big for your tank. Grouper is an absolutely no since they eat anything that they can fit in their mouth.

I assume this tank is a 6’ 125 gallons? If it were my tank I would get 2 tangs for it and an angel.

Purple + Yellow Tangs + majestic angel + smaller fishes.
Or
Powder Blue tang + Yellow tang + majesty angel + smaller fishes

Adding 2 tangs can be tricky so you need to play around with rocks and getting 2 fishes that are willing to tolerate each other.

Sailin get really big and they aren’t that good looking when the fish isn’t flashing it’s fins. Sweetlip just simply get too big for your tank. Grouper is an absolutely no since they eat anything that they can fit in their mouth.

I assume this tank is a 6’ 125 gallons? If it were my tank I would get 2 tangs for it and an angel.

Purple + Yellow Tangs + majestic angel + smaller fishes.
Or
Powder Blue tang + Yellow tang + majesty angel + smaller fishes

Adding 2 tangs can be tricky so you need to play around with rocks and getting 2 fishes that are willing to tolerate each other.
Yes it is a 6’ tank, I didn’t think purple and yellow tangs got along. I have plenty of rockwork and hiding spots, my dad and I scaped the tank to have lots of caves and the whole back of the tank can be weaved through.

you could likeley have 2 tangs in this size tank, just get the smaller size tangs (at adult size). I say this because you have listed a number of fish that will increase your stress level in the tank. Multiple tangs are always a gamble though. I have 4 in a 265 and they fought a bit in the beginning, now they still bicker, but have calmed down a little. Larger tang types like Naso, or Sailfins are a bad idea and will likely cause you pain soon enough. I think the yellow Tang and Foxface may be fine, but just add them last. Aslo, Either re think adding an angel to this mix or lessen the total amount of fish you are planning.....and go slow (its hard for all of us to do) ;-) JME and IMHO...
So Is a foxface a tang? I had no idea haha

well...yes (kind of)....but they have a diferent body style than most and "normally" have a bit more temperate personality. If you do not add them at the same time (foxface and yellow or other tang), then put the foxface in first...definitely not last. Foxface can get to the larger end and have venemous dorsal spines and fish seem to know this. Again, tangs are tough. They see anything that is similar is size, shape and color that happen to eat the same food as a threat and fight to the death. Somehow tangs just know. This is really all in my experience. I have seen some mixtures that amaze me, but i would never do. Even my 4 tangs are a challenge and i only have 4 other small fish in the tank in more than twice the DT volume you describe....oh...and to help, keep everyone well fed and watch water conditions at the same time. This provides a happy fish but adds to the challenge. A well fed tang has less (but not 0) reason to defend territory.

well...yes (kind of)....but they have a diferent body style than most and "normally" have a bit more temperate personality. If you do not add them at the same time (foxface and yellow or other tang), then put the foxface in first...definitely not last. Foxface can get to the larger end and have venemous dorsal spines and fish seem to know this. Again, tangs are tough. They see anything that is similar is size, shape and color that happen to eat the same food as a threat and fight to the death. Somehow tangs just know. This is really all in my experience. I have seen some mixtures that amaze me, but i would never do. Even my 4 tangs are a challenge and i only have 4 other small fish in the tank in more than twice the DT volume you describe....oh...and to help, keep everyone well fed and watch water conditions at the same time. This provides a happy fish but adds to the challenge. A well fed tang has less (but not 0) reason to defend territory.
Thank you for that. The foxface is a maybe really so it’s not 100% on the list, so if not a foxface maybe some other tang?

Hi...so the foxface is technically not a "Tang" but a rabbit fish...but my point was that they have the same feeding habits which will cause the same tang on tang aggression...had to clear that up...lol....(im not a fishologist)

As far as a different tang, really just apply the same methods....likely best to introduce at the same time. Do some readng on WWM (wet Web Media) to get some more ideas. There are a lot of possibilities. I really like Mimic tangs are are not con-specific to yellows, however a purple and yellow are the same body style and will be more difficult. try to stay with "Smaller" groups considering adult size. I would stay away from Sohal, clown PBT or achilles...Can be nasty even though they are smaller...but you never really know. Whatever you want to try for tangs just remember:
1) add last for best results
2) Add together for best results
3) Add smaller types considering adult size
4) do not overcrowd
5) choose different body shapes and colors for better chances
6) keep well fed while watching water conditions (I feed 3 to 5 times daily). They may not take to feeding a bunch right away, so be prepared to remove food from clip and adding fresh food till they learn

Its hard to hit all of this but number 6 will be needed once you pull the trigger

Hi...so the foxface is technically not a "Tang" but a rabbit fish...but my point was that they have the same feeding habits which will cause the same tang on tang aggression...had to clear that up...lol....(im not a fishologist)

As far as a different tang, really just apply the same methods....likely best to introduce at the same time. Do some readng on WWM (wet Web Media) to get some more ideas. There are a lot of possibilities. I really like Mimic tangs are are not con-specific to yellows, however a purple and yellow are the same body style and will be more difficult. try to stay with "Smaller" groups considering adult size. I would stay away from Sohal, clown PBT or achilles...Can be nasty even though they are smaller...but you never really know. Whatever you want to try for tangs just remember:
1) add last for best results
2) Add together for best results
3) Add smaller types considering adult size
4) do not overcrowd
5) choose different body shapes and colors for better chances
6) keep well fed while watching water conditions (I feed 3 to 5 times daily). They may not take to feeding a bunch right away, so be prepared to remove food from clip and adding fresh food till they learn

Its hard to hit all of this but number 6 will be needed once you pull the trigger
3-5 times a day? wow thats insane, im assuming you must work at home or something, being a high school student is not going to help trying to meet that quota

Well...I have an auto feeder that does 3 SMALL feedings a day. Then I will typically feed once when I get home from work with Selcon, then add a veggie clip (nori and/or Omega one seaweed) and let them pick at that for a while.

What you can do is make sure they have food on the clip or even 2 clips before you leave (I have 2 clips and will rotate where the food goes). Then come home and feed something else, spectra pure pellets are awesome, but takes a bit for them to take to it. That would be similar 3 times a day. Then I will feed a little more on days off. If the tank is mature, they will be picking off the rock anyway...but fat and happy is the way to go, always leave them something to pick on so they are not so prone to fighting over the prime real estate...water quality, water quality, water quality...gotta watch it. The clips will smell of ammonia very quickly if not removed and changed out/rinsed

did i mention tangs can be work?...lol...workload increase exponentially with the amount and new-ness of tangs...but they are my favorites to watch and worth it

Best small size tang is hands down the White Tail Bristletooth Tang.
Max size of 6". Best grazer I've ever experienced. Also graze on the sand and if there's enough algae on the glass, it'll clean that too.
https://www.liveaquaria.com/product/3130/white-tail-bristletooth-tang?pcatid=3130&c=15+43+3130

Bristletooth Tangs are in general smaller than other tangs. Here's one that is common and more affordable.
https://www.liveaquaria.com/product/334/bristletooth-tomini-tang?pcatid=334&c=15+43+334

I don't find purple tang are as attractive or have any great personality. I always have one in my tank but I would take my Desjardin Sailfin over the Purple Tang any day of the week. In fact, I don't really care for them.
Here's a pic of my tangs. You can pretty much see how they look including the Magificient Foxface.
original.jpg

One of the more underrated fish. You don't see them often.
original.jpg

Back