20g Long Frag Tank Lighting

Frag Freaks

BRS Sponsor
BRS Member
I am going to be setting up a 20g Long as a frag tank. It is going to be a closed loop setup which I am going to be pushing 1050gph through.

I plan on having 4 x 24w T5 bulbs to be used for lighting with an IceCap 660 overdriving the bulbs giving me approx 156 watts total.

Will I be limited to only softies and LPS in this take or will I be able to house SPS also.

I think you can take on SPS due to a 20g long is only 12 inch deep. IMOHO, that is a lot of flow for a 20 gallon tank.

I think you'll definitely be fine with overdriven bulbs. Might even be too much considering 20g longs are pretty short.

I think you can take on SPS due to a 20g long is only 12 inch deep. IMOHO, that is a lot of flow for a 20 gallon tank.

I was going to have valves to be able to adjust the flow. I would rather have too much and turn down the flow as needed rather than not enough. At full blast I would be looking at roughly a 52 times turnover rate.

What would you suggest as a turnover rate for SPS?

The flow and the lights should be fine for most sps. As long as you don't directly blast the corals with the returns. I had about 60x turnover in my 20l mixed reef.

I was going to have valves to be able to adjust the flow. I would rather have too much and turn down the flow as needed rather than not enough. At full blast I would be looking at roughly a 52 times turnover rate.

What would you suggest as a turnover rate for SPS?

52X and that lighting plan sound just about right to me :)

We run around 1800gph flow in our 20 long sps frag tank, between the return and a mp10 set on 100% reef crest, but before that we had 2 evo750's which kept the sps happy. For lighting we use an Apollo reef led fixture, but before that we had a 250 watt hqi.

So I ended up with a Sunpod Fixture to hang over the frag tank. It is only their 70 watt model. I got a good buy on it from a fellow club member.

The question is now, since its a downgrade in the lighting department of what I originally planned. I am probably guessing that I will won't be able to keep any SPS and if so maybe very limited.

With this lighting and the same flow of 1050gph what will I be able to house for corals. The fixture right now is about 8 inches or so from the surface of the water.

Here it is cycling. I am going to use this tank as my main tank for awhile until I can set up a 120g that i have planned for the future. After that that the 20 will turn strictly into a frag tank.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1331415018.603565.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1331415018.603565.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 798
Back