adding dry rock

gonorth16

Non-member
If I added 15lbs of dry marco rock to a 120g thats been up and running for 5 months would I see a spike? I have about 120lbs of rock in there now and all my corals and fish are doing fine. Just didnt want to have to set up a small tank to cycle the rock(15lbs). thanks, Peter

You might get another mini cycle. I personally wouldn't have added it since the tank is still kind of new but I'm overly cautious about a lot of things... I would test it daily for ammonia and nitrites to make sure they don't get up and if you see them above zero do a quick water change.

You'll probably be ok but you never know, there are a bunch of variables that come into play...

you might see a bump, but I doubt there will be a spike unless the dry rock is really LOADED with organic matter

I recently added 20 lbs dry eco-rock from bulk reef supply to our 75 gallon which was 5 months at the time. It had 85 lbs of live rock and we wanted to bump it to over 100 lbs. We didn't get a spike but did get a diatom bloom on the new rock. Now the rock is already starting to color up with coraline in spots

I recently added 20 lbs dry eco-rock from bulk reef supply to our 75 gallon which was 5 months at the time. It had 85 lbs of live rock and we wanted to bump it to over 100 lbs. We didn't get a spike but did get a diatom bloom on the new rock. Now the rock is already starting to color up with coraline in spots

This is what will happen.
You will not see any ammonia spike.

Agreed. Unless it is loaded with organics, you'll be fine. If it is clean/white, no amonia/nitrate, but def diatom. You may want to add it a little at a time.

Back