afboundguy's downsizing (or upgrading???) 25 gallon cube build

I like that tank

Thanks it's a long labor of love and hate and it's been fun getting back in the swing of things and keeping the thread updated more than my past "oh it's been a year and I stopped doing water changes and it looks like crap" that has been my normal process :rolleyes:

... I'm putting my money on the clowns...

My clown pair are like the street corner thugs of their tank. They swim in the corner of the tank all relaxed and peaceful looking, but they won’t hesitate to shiv anyone near them. They like to swim up beside a snail, knock it upside down, and peck at its foot.

I’d also put my money on your clowns.

One of them almost drew blood when they nipped at me yesterday... afboundguy's better 1/2 looked at me strange when I walked into the living room saying my hand hurt from getting bit by a clownfish...

Checked the tank still see eggs and little eyes. I have heard they aren't the best the first time they lay eggs and it takes them a few times to get it right. They still nipped at me a lot when I was mounting and moving some frags around...

Was able to finally get this bad boy up and going. 2 days straight with baby brine shrimp nauplii :cool: Took a little over 24 hours for them to start hatching (says 24-36 hours) and it was in a 60 degree basement.

Yesterday I dumped them in the tank and the fish munched down on a bunch!!! Also since I've been seeding the tank with the copepods I collect when doing water changes I have seen them on the glass a lot more which is good!!!

Highly suggest this round hatchery. Little expensive at $30-$35 shipped but comes with eggs (if you order directly and not through a other website and don't pay attention to the fact they don't include free eggs) but it's super easy and no hassle making your own set up and super easy collection of the nauplii...

20200411_173744.jpg

Threw some of the baby brine shrimp nauplii in the @Paul B spot feeder to see if it worked and I watched the little suckers swim down to the dish at the bottom!!!

20200411_175927_HDR.jpg

Nothing major to report on the tank progress except I noticed the female clown was a little "plump" last night. afboundguy's better 1/2 yelled at me for calling her fat :eek:

Needless to say I checked the tank last night and there was a batch of freshly laid eggs!!! I purchased a tile to eventually put in to get them to lay eggs on and almost rushed it last night but I've decided to let it soak in post water change tank water for a week... Definitely noticed more eggs this second batch!!!

20200416_093537.jpg
20200416_093620.jpg
20200416_093624.jpg
20200416_093628.jpg

Bent the tubing by heating it up with a heat gun. Wasn't a perfect bend but it's good enough!!! For some reason I thought I snapped a picture of it all together but I'm in bed so it'll have to wait for tomorrow....

View attachment 137383

Dave,
You can use a silicone insert like this on the tube so that it holds the shape when you heat it up. It's what we custom PC builder with liquid cooling use to bend the hard tubing.

Dave,
You can use a silicone insert like this on the tube so that it holds the shape when you heat it up. It's what we custom PC builder with liquid cooling use to bend the hard tubing.

Sweet thanks I'll look into that as I'm sure my OCD'ness will eventually cause me to want to fix it!

Dave,
My man Jaystwocents, been watching him form way back when he had less than 2k subs.

Crazy pods all over my tank!!! Found a ton on a small patch of algae on the tank near the sandbed!!!
20200416_201123.jpg

So I finally ordered a BIOTA captive bred target mandarin from Colchester Pet last night! Opted for the overnight shipping vs the 5 hour round trip drive (wonder why? :rolleyes:). They're shipping the little guy out Tuesday night so I'll have him by Wednesday at 10:30 am!!!

I say little guy as I asked for a male but they're so small they can't guarantee me 100% it'll be a male...

They said the little guy was already eating frozen daphnia within a few minutes of them being placed in their tanks after being acclimated...

received_697497437676922.jpeg
received_2747830135436348.jpeg
received_268398507529821.jpeg

Have you tried Petco / Petsmart? That's where I found some - it has been a while and I haven't really checked again though.

Back