Anthias Harem Question

i think the problem with anthias is that they will always change from female to male within a group and fight for dominance. also if there is only 1 male and 1 female they will fight. so if you want to try you should do at least 3-4 females and 1 male but dont be surprised if one changes to male and hell breaks loose:)

Steve - I got 3 females and 1 male (Lyretail Anthias). Within the first month, I only had 1 female left - I think she killed all the other ones. I'm waiting for her to turn into a male and she/he will be the only one I keep. I've read of people over on RC with similar experiences. HTH.

I had the same ratio. A mean clownfish killed the male. I have 3 females left, 1 looks to be switching now. She/He is getting nippy towards the other 2.

Maybe I'll just keep the one then. I originally was going to have just one, but was to ld it was better to have a harem.

I've read keep 1 or a large harem - maybe you need a large harem so that it takes a long time before you are down to 1 again.:D

The male heards the females. If you don't have enough females the male will constantly harrass the female and she won't be able to eat. One male and several females would be your best bet. Groups in odd numbers, 3 doesn't seem to be enough so 5 or more seems best.
You will also get a dominant female, she's next in line to turn male should something happen to the existing male.
When I chose them, I look for a male that is considerably larger than the females. I try to get equaly sized females and they'll set the pecking order themselves.....you should also introduce them to the tank at the same time.

The male heards the females. If you don't have enough females the male will constantly harrass the female and she won't be able to eat. One male and several females would be your best bet. Groups in odd numbers, 3 doesn't seem to be enough so 5 or more seems best.
You will also get a dominant female, she's next in line to turn male should something happen to the existing male.
When I chose them, I look for a male that is considerably larger than the females. I try to get equaly sized females and they'll set the pecking order themselves.....you should also introduce them to the tank at the same time.

That will be an expensive harem, but what harem wouldn't be? :D

Back