Anyone have problems with this algae?

stevenp

(not so) Young MC
I identified the algae I'm having problems with as Dictyota menstraulis. It's growing like crazy in my tank. Has anyone had a problem with this? How did you control it?

Steve

I had that stuff...but I wish I could tell you how to get rid of it. Mine only grew on the tops of my Seios (go figure). :rolleyes: Anyway, I got rid of mine with a diluted bleach soaking and a scrub brush. Nothing in my tank seemed to like it, or maybe it was because it was on the powerhead. I don't know.

The only thing I can think that may help is to cut back on your lighting if you are using anything over 175 watt MH. That's what I've got, and it never grew anywhere but the Seios, which were the highest things in the tank. :cool:

I'm running 175 MH and it seems to grow fine anywhere in the water column. It grew fine with my PC's too. Argh... I want to make it go away!

Steve

OK, one other thought. When I had my "outbreak" of the stuff, it also coincided with the well water issue. I believe that I had an inordinate amount of iron going into the tank. My algae (all forms) was growing quite nicely, thank you. The water issue also killed what was left of my DI resin. So....are you using RO water, and if so, when was the last time you checked/changed those filters. ;)

I'm using an RO/DI unit. I have incredibly high TDS here out of the tap 730-900. I change the carbon and sediment filters as soon as I can see even a tint of any brown on the sediment filter, and I change the DI resin when the color change is 3/4 of the way up. I change these filters before the TDS rises above zero.

I also do a 15%-25% water change every 10 - 14 days.

TDS coming out is always zero. Is it possible that iron is not detected in the TDS reading? FWIW, I have both a hand held and an inline TDS meter, and they both read the same.

PH 8.2
SG 1.025
Alk 8-11 DKH (frequently add baking soda to keep it up)
CA 455
Nitrate 0
Nitrite 0
Phosphate undetectable with my test kit
MG 1350-1400
Temp 79.2-82.6F (damn heat wave...)
Remora C produces minimal amount of skimmate (low bioload)
Spot feed fish every other day with a pipette. VERY little food does not get eaten.

Steve

Last edited:
Steve,

I would think the iron would show up on the TDS meter....I know I went from 0 to over 20 while making only 20 gallons. The pump problem really knocked out the DI resin fast.

FWIW...Julian Sprung wrote this about Dictyota in "Algea, a problem solver guide."

"Not palatable to most herbivorous fish. Fast growing. This alga blooms in aquariums under good water quality conditions, and it seems to have a positive effect on water quality, though it may shade or smother corals."

control by herbivores and by hand. He says that the mithraculus crab (emerald green guy? perhaps?) and a Diadema Urchin will eat it.

My crabs never touched it, but then again, it was growing on the Seios.

Maybe something else has had some luck with other critters. Good luck.

I thought about an urchin, but I'm afraid it will knock every over while it's eating my coraline algae :(

Steve

Only a 20 gallon.

It's already established. This stuff is a PITA. Small pieces can attache themselves to anything and grow.

Steve

I'm going to try an urchin. I can always pull him out if he's too clumbsy and munches all my coraline. Should be easy to catch at night...

Any recommendations on an urchin for a 20 gallon nano? I was thinking a black spiney urchin. They seem to be pretty peaceful.

Looks like I'm blessed with an annoyance algae that likes good water quality :rolleyes:

Steve

Last edited:
Back