Anyone use 2 part salt by Saltwater Correct?

Look pretty interesting. I like how it is pretty much perfect levels when mixed per its instructions. $45 for 150 gallons worth ain't too shabby either...I wonder what they charge for shipping.

I might try it once I finish this bucket of IO. Now that I have a smaller tank, I'm contiplating dosing Ca and Alk, so this might be worth a shot.

Saltwater Correct 2 Part Artificial Sea Salt System is truly the closest artificial sea salt mix to simulate natural seawater in all of the following top 6 element categories: ( Approximate Values) SG: 1.026, Magnesium: 1250 ppm, Calcium: 450 ppm, Alkalinity: 10 dKH, pH: 8.6 and Borate: 1.5 ppm and all major and minor trace elements.

10 DKH.......I don't know any natural sea water that is that high!!!:eek:
Or synthetic mix!!!!!!

I don't think they so much mean that it is the same as NSW, but more that it matches what a reef tank should be at. I run my tank at 10dKH, what do you run yours at Brian?

I don't think they so much mean that it is the same as NSW, but more that it matches what a reef tank should be at. I run my tank at 10dKH, what do you run yours at Brian?
8dKH.. easier to keep & more stable @ that range for my system.

IO mixes to over 10dkh. (as do a couple others)

The problem with 2-part salts is that they almost never mix to what theyre supposed to. Its too difficult to get them to mix evenly without things precipitating. The zeovit salt was the last one I heard of to come out, and its generally considered awful, because no one can get it to mix properly.

Theres a reason why salts tend to be dkh high, or CA high.

I don't know anything about this salt mix, but I was just thinking that a two part salt mix would be more stable as the calcium and carbonate would not recombine in the bucket in the presence of moisture. This is not an issue with unopened buckets, but once open in a humid environment there will be problems.

If I were to make my own, I'd probably make something similar to IO, but with even lower calcium and alk levels, and more normal levels of magnesium. Then just have the user add pure calcium chloride and baking soda, each pre-dissolved in fresh water. A mix like this would be superfast to dissolve. Problem is it would be way too easy for people to screw it up and then complain how you killed all their fish.

Tropic Marin Regular formula is 8 dkh always has been always will...That is why I don't use IO...Check your batches everytime you get a new one.....They are all over the place....:eek:

I'm a firm believer in sticking with a salt once chosen, based on that I'm stuck using IO although after talking with brian today and based on my personal preference of running a very "clean" tank I may be better off with another brand if indeed IO mixes at 10kh. I need to experiment a bit but i think he may have been onto a phenomenon I have been experiencing and If this cures it then the new tank may see a brand shift.

Back