Anyone willing to build me a skimmer?

nickyblase

Non-member
I'm not very handy, and my tank is a little funky - doesn't have a whole lot of room for a good skimmer that's pre-made.

The tank is called an Aqua Medic Percula, which has the sump/fuge chambers built into the back of the tank. The skimmer that came with the tank is an Aqua Medic Midi-Floater (I can get the exact dimensions of it). Similar dimensions to this would be ideal, but without airstone.

I can give specifics to whoever is willing/able to take the challenge. I live in Maine, so we'd have to do most of this with me measuring and calling/emailing whatever you need. I'd either pay for shipping or coordinate a way for me to come down and pick it up.

Please help - I need something beefy for my seahorse tank & the sooner the better.

Thanks!

Laurie

Laurie
You may be able to make it more efficient with a larger air pump and/or air stone.

A lot of the commercial skimmers use big air pumps and stones.

Thanks for the idea. I'll look into it. I think I'm using the largest airstone, but will see if I can find one bigger. I'll also look into a better pump.

I'm currently using a replacement of the same external pump that it originally came with. Any idea of where I'd look for a good POWERFUL pump that could connect to the airline tubing?

check with some of the local sponsors Like Ray at everythingreef.com or Aqua Addicts.

They should be able to help.

I was just looking at Drs Foster Smith (haven't called a local vendor yet - want to know what I should get before I ask them to order it). I saw 2 pumps that look like they may work & am wondering if you've got any opinions.

One is the Coralife "Super Luft Pump" - says it can run multiple airstones, and runs at 2.9 PSI.

The other one I found is called just the Luft Pump, and is not only cheaper, but also runs at 7 PSI.

Is 7 PSI too much? Also, apparently there is also now a silica airstone which supposedly lasts longer and clogs less than the regular wooden one. Is silica a bad idea in salt water?

I've got one for my other tank and LOVE it, but it doesn't fit in the footprint of the tank's sump.

Just curious, what dimensions for the new skimmer are you constrained to? width x width x height?

well, there is a plexi divider to the next section of the sump/fuge area back there that has a diagonal opening at the bottom - definitely enough room to run a piece of pvc or flexline and have a pump in the next compartment. Only problem though is that the pump would be at the bottom of the second chamber (if that's indeed a problem).

smcnally said:
Check out ASM skimmers. They are very affordable and work great.

I'm not a big fan of ASM. The PCI Reef Octopus line runs about 1/2 the cost, is better made, and runs better pumps.

Can you run an external? The Reef Octopus Recirc110 would be totally overkill in this situation, but could be run behind or next to the tank, and isnt bad at $189 from octopusskimmer.com

interesting. I had seen the turboflotor, but it didn't look like it would fit in my compartment (since I've only got a 65, which it looks like they may not manufacture anymore).

I'll check it out (as well as your recommendation Rich).

Thanks!

Back