ATI 6x24 enough lighting?

smokey30

Non-member
Hey all I am starting a 50 gallon mixed reef tank and am considering the 24" 6x24W SunPower T5 High-Output Fixture would this be enough lighting for a mixed reef tank?

how tall is the tank? I've seen a lot of people do this before with lighting fixtures and make out ok.. you just gotta realize that you can't have the high light corals on the sides obviously. It could be limiting as well though.

As far as the light output it'll be fine, but the light coverage might leave you desiring more. If you don't want to keep many corals within that extra 12" of space then you'll be fine.. you could also get away with corals that don't demand much light on the edges as well.. but keep in mind that the first 2 inches of t5 fixtures don't produces as much light as the middle.. so that will limit you even further.

the tank is 18" tall...is there any other options in terms of t5 lighting that would be in the same ball park performance wise as the ati?

I have HQI pendant with a 150 watt MH and two 32 watt 12" actinics over my 24"x24" cube and it's lit fine. The two 6" edges should be fine, you can't put SPS there.

I have this exact fixture on my neo nano. Have you looked on reekgeek? The 36"x6 is $60 more than the 24. If money is that tight get the 36"x4 for less or the current 6 bulb fixture. It is not as good but better than the 24"x6.

I'd probably order a 36" light to go over a 36" tank. If be iffy of spending all that money then being unhappy with the coverage and wishing I'd got the 36" fixture.

I ordered a 24" ATI last week but my tank is 30".

Get the 36"x6 bulb for coverage purposes as has been said before.

However with a 24"x6 you could definitely get by with clever coral placement. Shrooms and such on the ends.

M

I've done the "get by" thing before with lighting with regrets, get the 36"

welll it's still an ATI fixture.. it's not like he's "getting by" with a current power compact fixture...

I'd say a 36" would be a better option as well, but if it's out of the question spending wise than like i said before you could use a 24" fixture.

You asked if there was anything in the ballpark performance wise with the ATI, and 2 companies/fixtures come into mind. One is very expensive, so likely not an option for you, that's the italian Sfiligoi fixtures. Next is the Aquactinics fixtures, you could use an aquatinic tx5 fixture, which will have one less bulb than the ATI, but similar performance as far as bulb to bulb comparisons go. The 5 bulbs will obviously give you less front to back coverage, but more side to side coverage.

My bulbs should be here in a few days so I'll have my 8x24 hanging over my 30" x 30" tank by the weekend. I can report of the coverage of a 24" fixture over a 30" tank then if that would help. It's 6" shorter but might give a better estimation.

If you were closer I'd have you stop by and see it for yourself. If you want to make the trip you are more then welcome, Boston isn't that far of a drive to Cumberland RI if you are up in the air over a $$$$$$$$ light and seeing something similar might help.

I am just gonna suck it up and get the 36" sunpower I dont want to be disappointed if the 24" does not work out.

Back