ATI T5 instead of MH?

Technorch

BRS Member
A friend of mine has a ATI T5 fixture that he will no longer be using. It's this one: http://premiumaquatics.com/store/me...=PA&Product_Code=ATI-2039&Category_Code=ATIt5

I have 3 250w MH. 2 Lumenarc; one with a blueline ballast and the other one with a coralvue. The 3rd MH is a reefoptix or something with a icecap ballast.

Will the ATI T5 10x80W be enough to keep sps and clams, pretty much whatever I can keep with my current MH?

The tank is a 125g. The heat from the MH isn't much of an issue now that I have a chiller, but trimming down on the electric from the MH vs the T5 would be pretty nice :p. I just want to make sure that fixture can handle what I want/ will want to have

You would be going from 750 watts to 800 watts. I think you could keep anything under the ati fixture.

U also should think of the cost to chang 10 bulbs, that's going to cost about $250 a year

Last edited:
Sounds sufficient, not sure how much $$ you will save due to wattage/replacing bulbs but not having to run the chiller will help.

You would be going from 750 watts to 800 watts. I think you could keep anything under the ati fixture.

U also should think of the cost to chang 10 bulbs, that's going to cost about $250 a year

Ya but think of his electic bill;)

60" on a 72" tank? you wont be able to keep anything on the sides, also isn't a 125 18" wide? it would overhang the tank 3.5"

or am I reading this wrong?

I don't think the 6" on each side would be a big problem. IMPO this fixture would be plenty to keep anything you want. If you do go with this fixture I would suggest raising it higher then you hang most t5 fixtures, this should incress the light in the outer 6" on each side giving more options there.

I have the 5 footer with 8 bulbs... an love it! I have a 30" deep tank and have not run into problems yet... I do not have clams or sps on the bottom, but I think I have plenty of light.

more than welcome to swing by and check it out on a tank.

Some day I will get in line and get some PAR readings.

The cost of changing the 10 bulbs would pretty much add up even since I replace my bulbs every 8-9 months and it adds almost to $200.

Sounds sufficient, not sure how much $$ you will save due to wattage/replacing bulbs but not having to run the chiller will help.
Ya but think of his electic bill;)

I currently have the electric bill included in the rent :D

I'm just thinking of when I move to another place, then I will definitely have to think of the electric bill a LOT more.

60" on a 72" tank? you wont be able to keep anything on the sides, also isn't a 125 18" wide? it would overhang the tank 3.5"

or am I reading this wrong?
I don't think the 6" on each side would be a big problem. IMPO this fixture would be plenty to keep anything you want. If you do go with this fixture I would suggest raising it higher then you hang most t5 fixtures, this should incress the light in the outer 6" on each side giving more options there.

Yeah I was thinking of raising it a little bit this way I would get coverage on all the tank.

I have the 5 footer with 8 bulbs... an love it! I have a 30" deep tank and have not run into problems yet... I do not have clams or sps on the bottom, but I think I have plenty of light.

more than welcome to swing by and check it out on a tank.

Some day I will get in line and get some PAR readings.

Sounds very, very tempting! Will definitely think about it. Thanks!

Back