ATO float switch wiring questions w/ examples

dp28688

Damien (Member)
Ive seen float switches wired a few different ways. Wondering dis/advantages, safety.... thinking of doing one would like to do cheap but want to safe also. my setup will be using smallest pump i can find so no heavy power demand. #3 is my fav seem simple and possibly safer than #1 anyone know whats in the relay box of autotopoffs setup?

1. What ive seen is float switch just spliced into extention cord.
2. Also float switch attached to a 12v relay so having extention cord, relay, and 12v transformer.
3. autotopoff site has kit that has some relay inline so no added transformer like #2

link to example 1 http://www.newengland.reefbuilders.com/diy-fish-rooms-guts-reefing/3406-diy-auto-top-off-system.html

link to #2 http://www.aquahub.com/store/diygaquarium.html

link to #3 http://autotopoff.com/products/DS1/DS07.JPG

Last edited:
I have a DIY #1, although long term you are better off with a relay.

The only down side is that you are switching 120v and if you use a pump with a decent start up load you run a chance of a switch failure sooner (and the pump stuck on).

I use the 3watt Aqualifter and an industrial switch ($$$) that I had laying around, so no worries. If yo are handy, a relay (120v or 12v) and a project box and your good to go. The advantage to a 120v relay is that you only need a single plug to power it all (no 12v transformer to deal with).

Today, I'm setting up my ATO for my ATO :)

#1 you are running 115v through the switch and low amp rating
#2 12v running through the switch and relay good for up to 15 amps
#3 115v running through the switch and relay good for up to 15 amps

i would go with #2 much safer

Here's the inside of the little black box on the autotopoff.com set up.

Attachments

• ATO relay.jpg
    ATO relay.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 926
Gee, now that I think of it, how much juice is actually flowing through the autotopoff system?

I'm suddenly feeling a strong urge to find a spare wall wart and do the 12V mod on mine...

Here's what is listed on the relay in the autotopoff set up;

(Misc certification marks exct, then these specs on one side)

15A 120VAC 50/60 hz res
12A 277VAC 50/60 hz res
10A 277VAC res
12 A 28VDC
1/2HP 120VAC
1 HP 250VAC
B300 pilot duty

(on the other side, misc cert marks and this number)

0648B

Last edited by a moderator:
Would a 12 transformer cause the GFI outlet to trip if it made contact with water in the tank (assuming you have a ground probe)?

I know the 120V would, not sure about the autotopoff.com relay, but it looks to be 120v.

EDIT: I have been tying to justify the Reefkeeper Lite, and I think I just did :) the switch ports are perfect for this.

Last edited:
I really like #2.... thanks for posting the links, now I have something else to burn money out of my deflated wallet :p

I just got the Aquahub Top-it-Off Premium kit (2). I decided to go with that Over the neater looking autotopoff.com kit. The autotopoff kit has two problems that I see. The first is price - I was trying to keep the price down and the Aquahub kit had the backup float switch for the same price as the autotopoff.com one with only switch. Second, I read that aside from the danger of having 120v in the tank (heaters are already in there), the switch last much longer if they have 12v running through them. The goal of the system is to be reliable and stable, so what ever is supposed to last longer makes more sense to me.

The kit was easy to set up, and works great so far. I just installed it last night. The hardest part was the mold-a-holder, but it came out well.

Upcoming Events

June 9, 2024
Ben Johnson
Club Meeting

Back