Best Adhesive for Acrylic?

CaptainAndy

Non-member
I decided to build an acrylic overflow box and seal it in my tank. Already drilled. 2 Questions - what's the best adhesive for putting the box together and gluing it into the glass tank. What is the best way to drill or cut out the little openings (cuts) at the top edge?

For joining acrylic parts weld-on #4 (solvent, actually welds/melts the acrylic together)

To attach the overflow box in a glass tank, use %100 silicone. Type I or type II. Type II cures slower, but is stronger. Make sure it's pure silicone, a lot of the kinds at HD exct have mildew inhibiters and other additives.

To cut overflow slots a router with a 1/4" bit works very well. I make them on a router table using the fence to control depth, and a peice of 2x4 clamped perpindicular to the fence to guide each slot. (mark off every 1/2", clamp the guide in for the first slot, cut, flip the acrylic peice over and cut the first slot on the other end, move the guide for the next slot in and repeat).

Check out this site for some acrylic basics
http://www.melevsreef.com/

Check out the DIY supplies sticky at the top of this fourm for suppliers for the weld-on and acrylic. I go to altec in boston.

Back