Best Choice Products 250W MH - any opinions?

jselzler1

Non-member
Hi,

I am thinking of replacing my Coralvu Sunpod 150w MH light with this:

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem?itemId=360572551697&index=0&nav=SEARCH&nid=96847255874

I have 54g corner mixed reef, but mostly LPS and softies and 2 SPS expirementations. Want a clam in the future.

They look like a relatively new product, probably from China. I can't really find any reviews of it. Fire hazard is primary concern w/ other chinese lights like this but this one has a CE mark, which is good. I figure I'll probably replace the stock bulb w/ a new 14K Phoenix, and eventually the ballast when a good deal pops up.

Any opinions?

Thanks

Fixed the link. Its a nice setup. Run some fiji purple and blue actinics for the t5 and get a pheonix 14k bulb and it will look nice.

How deep is the tank?

I have the same light, ordered from Amazon. I see alot of people hanging there MHs. What could I use to hang that if the legs are too short and heat becomes an issue?

Last edited:
You may want to change the bulbs to name branded ones

I have the same light, ordered from Amazon. I see alot of people hanging there MHs. What could I use to hang that if the legs are too short and heat becomes an issue?

How long have you had it? Happy w/ it? Would you buy it again?

I did a DIY hanging kit for my sunpod from mixture of plant/picture hanging hardware from home depot. Looks like i could re-use for this light.

How long have you had it? Happy w/ it? Would you buy it again?

I did a DIY hanging kit for my sunpod from mixture of plant/picture hanging hardware from home depot. Looks like i could re-use for this light.

I actually have yet to run it. I did turn it on and test it. I am gathering my equipment week by week. I should be ready to leak test in a month or so. The light is well built IMO.

Looks like a piece of junk. You would be far better off buying a quality reflector and a brand name ballast. Even if you replace the bulbs it comes with the new ones will burn out very quickly. The heat generated by that 250 halide will cook those led's and t5's.

So I did go out and purchase this light & after 2 months have been happy with it. Time will tell though.

The cheap Aqueon 250W MH bulb supplies w/ fixture was broken on arrival. I planned to insert a Phoenix 14k bulb which I already had anyways. Contacted the seller about the bulb and they sent replacement same day.

The electronic ballast runs cool. The fans are not noisy. I feel the low price chinese units are great value!

looks like a very good light. It looks so similar to Coralife

Upcoming Events

June 9, 2024
Ben Johnson
Club Meeting

Back