Best Skimmers

ok so how about most bang for your buck skimmers?
Trying to find the best skimmer for my 90 gallon tank, with possiblity to upgrade within 5 years.

I run a euroreef 135 with my 90 and I love it. I had a problem with the impellar and called them, they shipped me a whole new pump no questions asked.

I ran an ETSS 1000 for about 1 year or so. Decided to go in-sump because of space issues and got an ASM G6. The 270 watts to run it are the only drawbacks imo. Right "out of the box" it was pulling more crud than the ETSS ever did. You're going to get alot of different answers to this one. You have your downdraft believers, needlewheels, and becketts. Everyone has their own preference. I'm thinking of running an ETSS 600 along with my G6 because I believe that each different style pulls out different amounts of different crud. I have nothing to base this one except the fact that the crud looks different (color for the most part) in the different style skimmers I've owned in the past.

I'm guessing JCheung bought his skimmer and has had it running for almost 6 months. This along with a bunch of other skimmer threads were brought back from the dead, some from well over a year and a half.

etss RD is great. i love the down draft skimmer. I got one used and got a great deal. ive yet to be impressed for long term performance by any NW or Mesh skimmer.

One that works :)

It really depends on your needs. I have used every skimmer but a downdraft and they all work. I am not sold on needlewheels being so much better than the rest, but they have there place. If space is of concern needlewheel do perform well for there size.

Personally I have yet to run a skimmer that I can control as well as an airdriven skimmer.

Have a Deltec skimmer and love it. Gravity fed, runs a small Eheim pump, NEVER had an issue with it. Which is a very good thing, because their customer service, well, let's just say it kinda sorta, really, truly sucks out loud.

skimmer

reefermedic hit the nail on the head.
Everyone has a different belief.
I have had all etss's under the 800,a euroreef,asm and now octopuss 200.
My opinion is same as reefermedic,that the downdraft and needlewheel seem to pull different kinds of skimmate.
Example,my last 75 reef has had a euroreef etss 500,etss600,euroreef rs80,asm g-3 and octopuss 200.
(yes I change my mind too much)
the needlewheels pull real smelly tea colored stuff and skim wet
The downdrafts pull dry stuff that doesn't smell half as bad but is much darker brownish.
To me the best bang for your buck out of them is the octopuss 200.
best performance seemed to be the octopuss 200 also,after grinding open the elbow,pump outlet,air inlet,mesh modding and recirc mod.
soynd like alot of mods but takes less than half hour to do.
I am actually going to build my own skimmer that will be similar to the new etss sump buddies but will incorparate a recirc needlewheel also.
best of both worlds
hope this helps.

reefermedic hit the nail on the head.
Everyone has a different belief.
I have had all etss's under the 800,a euroreef,asm and now octopuss 200.
My opinion is same as reefermedic,that the downdraft and needlewheel seem to pull different kinds of skimmate.
Example,my last 75 reef has had a euroreef etss 500,etss600,euroreef rs80,asm g-3 and octopuss 200.
(yes I change my mind too much)
the needlewheels pull real smelly tea colored stuff and skim wet
The downdrafts pull dry stuff that doesn't smell half as bad but is much darker brownish.
To me the best bang for your buck out of them is the octopuss 200.
best performance seemed to be the octopuss 200 also,after grinding open the elbow,pump outlet,air inlet,mesh modding and recirc mod.
soynd like alot of mods but takes less than half hour to do.
I am actually going to build my own skimmer that will be similar to the new etss sump buddies but will incorparate a recirc needlewheel also.
best of both worlds
hope this helps.

Opinon only.
Best bang if you can DIY the mods. Research the mods and do them all. WET skimmate has always been my goal and some share the same. It is still black. The whole ordeal will still cost more tham a used beckett skimmer. Skimmers are everywhere. I even have a beckett for sale and they are all cheaper than most new Octos + mods. Every Skimmer has it's place. I loved my Beckett because it was my best option at the time. I still keep it because I know I have a capable back-up. I never had an urgency to get rid of it. BUT I would not use it over my Octo.

I'm guessing JCheung bought his skimmer and has had it running for almost 6 months. This along with a bunch of other skimmer threads were brought back from the dead, some from well over a year and a half.

Yup i bought the octopus nw-200 a while back, and it's running pretty good as far as i can tell, don't really have anything else to compare it to. I do have the gate valve mod but i still haven't gotten around to doing the mesh mod cause i can't figure out how to pop off the needlewheels it looks like it's locked in. Also the needle wheel looks smaller than the instructional videos so i'm not sure if you should still use 3 mesh circles or should i use less.

you don't pop the needle wheel off at all. Remove the impeller as an assembly out of the pump

cut off all but 4 of the needle-wheel tines, use fishing line and tie the mesh (2 layers should be cool to start; then try 3 if 2 fit OK) to the 4 remaining tines. Pop the impeller back in. You will be amazed by how much more fine the bubbles look. My skimmer looks like it is full of milk most days....

Ohhhhhh! thats a good idea, thanks jay. i'll do that after praying alot that i dont eff it up.

Back