Blue Throat trigger Hawaii vs indo

mvallee

Non-member
I am planning out my next add to my 180 and have settled on a Blue Throat Trigger for it's potential to be reef compatible with caution especially when bought small. I was originally planning red or pinktail but the blue throats seems to get much more colorful with age.

My conundrum is I see two collection point listed on several online site Hawaii and Indo. Is there a difference/preference I can not seem to find any details. anyone with experience with both? I ask because in my former tank I went with a blonde naso tang and the Hawaii ones were more desirable due to better coloration.

When is the season that these guys become abundant, the small seem to be out of stock for everyone including the LFS I visited over the past few weeks, not sure if it is the summer slowdown and low stockings but even online they do not have the small males.

If it is color you want...only get the Hawaiian....they are 10x better looking than their Indo counterparts...they do cost quite a bit more...but IMO are much nicer.

As for availablilty...Hawaii was hit with some bad weather, so I know there has not been too much collecting lately. And you are 100% right...it is the middle of summer and not a lot of places bring in a ton of stock...

Small males are generally available in the spring when they drop from the sargassum beds...

Glad I asked,
Spring???? that's gonna be tough he was going to be my next add, oh well I'll find something else I have a few other fish we wanted to add that are a little more common.

Thanks SaltwaterB

Not saying you can't find small ones anytime...just more abundant in April/May, IME

By September they are getting 3+"

Also, if you are planning on adding one, I would add the other Fish before the Trigger...as they are Reef safe, many times they will still bother smaller tank mates added after them.

Back