Can't figure out the problem please help!

I have a 90 gallon and i ran a tek 8 bulb with egg crate as a cover. I had basically sps some rics and zoos and green star polyps everything was fine. I upgraded my light the Elos Planet II. My sps starting dieing most of them burning from the tips so i thought ok light is burning them. WRONG! Make a long story short i eventually lost all my sps corals but my star polyps, zoos, rics are all fine i can't figure out what is the problem. I tried a digi and green milli that were already under MH lights before i put them in my tank and they were slowing starting to die also. I can't figure it out its been very frustrating because its been going on for like 2 months and i can't figure it out. Like i said most of the sps die from tips down anyone idea's would greating be appreciated. temp 79 s.g 1.024 nitrate ammonia 0 cal 400 alk 9 mag 1400

hows your ph?
i started losing things randomly with all other parameters in check, turns out it was very low ph

When you upgraded the lights did you acclimate the corals? What wattage of MH did you switch to? It sounds like they could have gotten too much light and bleached out.

Even when you replace old bulbs you should acclimate the corals to the new intensity because they have a proportionate amount of Zooxanthellae to the amount of light they get; they get rid of some if there's too much light make more if there's not enough, kind of like a balancing act. So if you suddenly take away a ton of light or give them way more light than they're used to you can do detrimental damage (IMO giving more light is worse) Just my $.02...

You can raise the light fixture and slowly bring it back down. You can use light diffusing material in layers and take one out each day. Or what I usually do because I can't adjust the height and am too lazy to go buy some light diffusing layers is knock the amount of time the lights are one and slowly bring them back up to the normal amount of time they were on before I replaced the bulbs. IMO the diffusion panels are the best way...

ph is 8.0 during the day and 7.9 at night and i didn't acclimate them properly and i know that was part of the problem but what im saying is i got new sps corals that were already acclimated to mh light and i put them in my tank and im only running 4 hours right now and they are still dieing so it can't be a light issue anymore bulbs are 2x150's.

You can raise the light fixture and slowly bring it back down. You can use light diffusing material in layers and take one out each day. Or what I usually do because I can't adjust the height and am too lazy to go buy some light diffusing layers is knock the amount of time the lights are one and slowly bring them back up to the normal amount of time they were on before I replaced the bulbs. IMO the diffusion panels are the best way...

Those you can get at Lowes, Home Depot usually in the Lighting section.

I have a pendant style MH connected to ceiling...... very easy for me to raise and lower my lighting for acclimation.

Like Dave said the diffusion panels are a very easy and safe method to slowly acclimate new ligthting to your corals.

I'm wondering where your phosphates are.....SPS doesn't do well with phosphates, and between that and the new light, the stress did them in.....

my phosphates were threw the roof a while ago now sure where it is right now i have to check that out and see where its at. I dunno some people say phosphates bother sps corals others say it don't so no clue. But i had high phosphate for a long time and none of the corals showed any sign of stress or die.

Back