Caribbean Blue Tang & Purple Tang

Arsalan

____LifeLongLearner____ BRS BoD
Officer
BRS Member
Anyone keep these fish together?
I know no two fish are going to behave the same, but these two look similar enough to raise concern about keeping both together.

Any experience? Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

've looked into Caribbean blue tangs and from what I recall is that they are difficult to acclimate and its best to get them small and they do better in multiples. As far as similar-looking tangs being added I added a purple tang to a 120 gallon with a larger yellow tang with no real major issues. A lot probably depends on the individual fish and I definitely would use an acclimation box for a week I used mine for about 4 days but I should have gone longer with it. Good luck my tank also has a lot of rock and hiding places.

Yeah that's a good point, I'd definitely be putting him in a isolation box. I really like how they look and I've seen them on a few dives, they get huge in the wild but I read they stay small in captivity. I'm just not sure what size to get as the juvi might get picked on by the yellow tang and the adult might get picked on by the purple tang. Regardless, I want to get one and hope I can keep them all in the same tank.
This is what reminded me of wanting one:
https://www.liveaquaria.com/divers-den/product/404936/caribbean-blue-tang-transitioning

In case you're looking for options you can get small two and a half inch yellow ones from some of the diver outlets in Florida they're like 20 bucks there

That’s ideal, can you please share some links?

Thanks for sharing! Pretty sweet deals, have you or anyone else ordered from them?

I my 120 is pretty full right now so I haven't ordered anything from them but thinking about them if I ever do a bigger tank

Those small Caribbean blue tangs do poorly in captive. I had several of them over the years, all shipped from Fl from small diver shops. None last over 3 to 4 month. May be you will have better luck.

I believe it Dong, that probably explains why they’re not a common fish in the hobby.

Have you had any luck with getting larger ones?

I never try a large one.

Those small Caribbean blue tangs do poorly in captive. I had several of them over the years, all shipped from Fl from small diver shops. None last over 3 to 4 month. May be you will have better luck.

That's too bad. Any thoughts on why they didn't make it.

Back