Catching a Yellow Tang

stormy78

BRS Member
Hello- I have a yellow tang that needs to be quarantined. I have tried everything to catch him but I am at a loss. He is in a 125 gal reef with a brown tang and they are chasing each other...The yellow one is the dominant one so I wanted to give him some time out of the tank and also treat him for some nipped fins. How are you supposed to quarantine when you can't catch em!!!!????

Tangs are incredibly gullable for food in fish traps... if you can get your hands on one or borrow one from a fellow/local reefer, that is your best bet imo... especially if you dont wana remove or alter your rockwork... and the safest also...

+1 on the fish trap, can normally get tangs to go in eventually. Just put the trap in and then start feeding only in the trap and hopefully within a couple days, you will catch your tang.

Ok...I will make a trap and give it a shot...he is the "leader" of the tank...so he should be first in!...thanks guys

I have used the white "grates" that are used for frag racks, cut it the ht of the tank and section part of the tank off and then feed the other side..... just make sure when u shut the wall it is secure
I recent used it for an emporer and queen angel

I think I will chime in...fish traps work...but you can use the eggcrate method much easier...keep it away from the bully while it heals...the fish will b easier to get out that way...just seperating the fish is better than taking it out....plus you can remove the wall once & a while & see if the bully bother the other fish...When it does make sure the bully has less space....sort of a punishment.....Great way to get fish acclimated in a tank together....
HTH,
B

I have had the exact opposite experience as Brian. I have tried the eggcrate separator in the display a few times with a pair of angels as well as a pair of wrasses and in both cases it made the dominant fish more aggressive constantly trying to get at the others. I have taken a fish out a total of 5 times I think when I had issues introducing a new fish (all were fairy wrasses though) and re-introdusing them after a week and was successful every time. It wouldn't hurt to try the in tank method if you can easily get some eggcrate down the middle but you may end up having to take the bully out for a while and then maybe even re-arrange some rockwork before you put him back in.

Back