Changed Socks, Skimmer went NUTS

fishmommy

Non-member
So I am dealing with tank equipment interactions for the first time.
I changed my socks for the first time and the skimmer went nuts! Is that normal?

A list of 'Things that make a skimmer go nuts' would also be useful for me at this point so I can plan accordingly.

Thanks!

High protein levels from muck stirred up by changing the socks. Maybe some type of treatment/binder on the new socks. I know that some epoxies can cause skimmers to overproduce.

If you are using FSI brand socks, they contain "small traces of foreign chemical from the production process, this chemical is NOT harmful to the aquarium life". They suggest rinsing the sock well before using. This may be true for other brands as well.

I have been buying these bulk and did not rinse once. The result was similar to yours, skimmer went nuts and a lot of bubbles in the tank. This cleared pretty quickly and no livestock was harmed. I now make sure to rinse the new ones thoroughly.

Whenever I put a new sock on my skimmer did the same thing. I now have enough where I alternate between them and wash them in the washer inside out with a cup of vinegar. Comes out pure white but my laundry room smells like fish n chips

Whenever I put a new sock on my skimmer did the same thing. I now have enough where I alternate between them and wash them in the washer inside out with a cup of vinegar. Comes out pure white but my laundry room smells like fish n chips

what great idea!...I usually just throw my socks in and wash on hot with nothing else added..
Fish and chips would be much more pleasant to smell than plain old fish ;)

Back