cheap 4" scraper

mikestod

BRS Member
I found a cheap alternative to the kent handheld scrapers. In the paint department at walmart they have a 4" razor blade scraper made by Mainstays for $1.96. a 5 pack of replacement blades is also $1.96. It has an actual 4" razor blade in it and the blade is stiffer than the kent scraper blades so they wont bend/warp as easy. I wish they made them one with a long handle. I'll probably try to rig one out of PVC for mine...

Same deal at Home depot. The blades get pretty rusty pretty fast, is my only complaint. Some of the "fish tank" scrapers have aluminum blades that don't rust... I wonder if we could cut aluminum flashing "strips" and use that... hmmm....

right...aluminum blades are too flimsy for my taste. if you take the blade out of this scraper, rinse it, and dry it thoroughly it should last a while. if not the blades are cheap enough and at least they have a razor edge. they do a much nicer job scraping then the kent scrapers for a couple bucks less. Just another alternative so you don't get stuck in the "specialty saltwater" trap

Scapers are too much work. I'm not gonna clean my tank any more. Nah, uh. Ain't gonna do it. The fish don't care, why should I?

I wash my blade and put a thin film of olive oil to keep it from rusting. Rinse and use again.

Joe

I've also been using the paint scapers for years, but I had to stop a while back because my hand no longer fits around the Acros!

It is a good idea to rinse and dry the blade to minimize rust. Additionally, I found that putting the blade in a thick Ziplock bag with a large bag of dessicant (drying compound) stopped the rust almost completely. Rust requires both oxygen and moisture to form.

Cheap no rust scraper

If you are just scraping the light green algae then use a old credit card. You know, the one that's max'ed out from buying stuff you got your hand in scraping!

Also I did a diy scraper, take a piece of 1/2 cpvc the height of your tank plus a couple of inches, then in the end, saw with a hacksaw or any narrow blade, a slot at a 45* angle. Insert the credit card, now you have a long handle scraper.
Plus one good thing using a card, that it doesn't scratch acrylic like a metal blade.
If you need pics let me know.

Last edited:
Back